• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Transport category ground handling..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Use appropriate techniques for the particular airplane. To make any assertion that any particular technique is appropriate because it's a "large airplane" technique is absurd. Some large airplanes are landed and flared, and the column held aft. Others are pinned on.

Do NOT ignore the manufacturers recommendations based on the concept that something isn't in the book. Bad idea. The JAL pilot failed to use common sense; this is different than ignoring manufacturer recommendations.

Don't buy into the idea that adding forward pressure "lifts" the mains, or reduces the traction on the mains. In most transport category aircraft, putting the yoke forward reduces angle of attack on the wing, the main lifting surface. This reduces lift, placing more weight on the mains. The mains then act as a fulcrum, and forward pressure on the yoke applies a downward pitching moment applying force on the nosewheel. Weight isn't taken off the mains; it's applied aginst the nosewheel.

The "lifting" force of the horizontal stab applicable when down elevator is applied is reltiavely insignificant in nosewheel airplanes, with respect to "lightening" the load on the main gear. Don't think twice about it.

Some might be tempted to compare down elevator on a nosewheel airplane to that on a conventional gear airplane such as a DC-3, but there is NO comparison; apples and guava fruit. Not even close.

On some aircraft, adding forward pressure after landing will unnecessarily load the nose gear assembly. This may be especially true on free castering gear. It may also impinge on control mechanisms.

Putting the control yoke forward on a light nosewheel airplane doesn't necessarily cause "wheelbarowing", but it can lead to an early demise of the oleo strut and the Lord shimmy damper, as applicable. Go with the design and intent of the airplane. Use input from other pilots, but don't base what you do with an airplane on what other pilots think is a great idea; I've seen many cases where an entire pilot community did something relatively stupid with an airplane because mythology taught them to do so. The "pink" pages aren't always right, either.

Each airplane is flown individually. Don't apply what you know from one airplane and assume it appies to another, because it may very well not.

Corky,
yeah, I know, if it's not in the book, I'm on my own. I'm sure they could get us in trouble for doing something that IS in the book as well. BTW, I also remember a 727 captain I flew with once that held the yoke foreward in a Seminole. I had no idea what he was doing, but it sure felt stable on the ground when he did that. He also flew it like a large aircraft, and it was nice. Thanks for the input.

Latest resources

Back