Transponder - Standby

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cynic

Why do you put a transponder on standby to warm it up? Does it have vacuum tubes?

Nah, we've progressed from the vacuum tubes... Everythings solid state these days... To tell you the truth, our transponder never gets turned to standby. It's either off, on, or alt...

Another Reason

In the "Old Days", it was helpful if folks on the ground left the transponder in STBY while taxiing in/out as the number of replies in (often) close proximity to the ATC radar antenna caused "ring around" and other radar issues. Not the case today with more modern systems.

I would like to remind instructors to show their students at some point how to stop altitude squawk and squawk Mode A only. Encoders do get flaky. They need to know how if the Mode-C readout is off by more than 200'.

NOT true, I have a King KT-76A, and according to the Bendix-King web site and my transponder owners manual, the unit should be on the standby mode for 45-50 seconds for the magnetron to get operating before switching to either on or alt. This is also the same operations that was in my C-150 with the Cessna RT-359.

Vector4fun said:
I would like to remind instructors to show their students at some point how to stop altitude squawk and squawk Mode A only. Encoders do get flaky. They need to know how if the Mode-C readout is off by more than 200'.
OK, you got my interest. How do you do that?

I read some airport surface areas want the txpdr on, and some specifically want it off when taxiing on the surface... depends if they have surface det. radar or not, and if the tower radar can filter slow movers or not it how it was explained... where are our atc types?

I know in DTW and MSP, we're always told to keep them on. However, in Canada, they yell at us to shut them off... Go figure...

Latest resources

Back