• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Transponder inop for months (Alaska)?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In 1999 before Capstone was introduced in Bethel, as a Part 121 operator we were required to have a transponder and TCAS in our aircraft. Most all the other carriers based out there were VFR Part 135 so most aircraft did not have or require a transponder to be installed. Those that did have transponders hardly used them which made our TCAS almost worthless. The introduction of Capstone and ADS-B was a great improvement to the overall safety and most the operators installed theat equipment.

Radar coverage in the state of Alaska is spotty, there are spots were we are not in radar contact until 17,000 feet. A lot of VFR operators don't serve airports that require a transponder and therefore don't have one installed because it is just dead weight.

Last edited:
Nope. Nothing invested in the question or the answer. Take it or leave it.

You're answer was a good partial answer to the question, but the overall tone ('you people'.... 'did you see....') was that of a person who is ass-uming way too much.

Your answer gives 'we people' the impression of someone who is protesting a bit too much.

You people? You introduce that which does not exist, and therefore post based on your imagination.

I made no assumption. You assumed cost was an issue. JbDC9 assumed the same thing. Other than that, by the time I posted, there was only one additional poster to address, so yes, you folks who posted, who assumed cost was the mitigating factor in the decision.

Given that you witnessed and photographed a MEL DMI sticker identifying the missing component and providing relief for it's presence, and given that a Category D has a known period, you had your answer before you ever posted. Assumptions that the transponder might not be in place for the full DMI period is presumptuous at best; you have no idea how long the aircraft might be operated without the transponder. Most certainly there is no reason to suspect, and no reason indicated, that cost might play any factor in the matter. Such assumption therefore, is unwarranted.

Seems you may be a little thin skinned yourself. You got your answer. Stop embarassing yourself, and be happy.

You people? You introduce that which does not exist, and therefore post based on your imagination.

I stand corrected. You said 'You folks need to...'.

I stand by the rest of my comments on this thread.

Your OP was needlessly defensive and childish.

Very well, then. Keep right on embarassing yourself.

Did the USAF not teach you to think for yourself?

What a shame.

With the mix of ADSB/Capstone/Chelton and transponders out here, it's kinda messy when you come up against the heavies with TCAS. The TCAS has no idea you're out there when you're on the 'stone, and vice versa. All TCAS sees is transpoders. All us Capstone guys are on the same page, and a great read it is, with the traffic and terrain display on either the Garmin or the Chelton unit. It'll be nice when the push comes for a complete transition over to ADSB (a 10 year plan? can't remember).

Anchorage pipes in the transponder aircraft into the ADSB fliers through the use of ground based transmitters. That was a mess while they sorted out those that were flying both with transponders AND the captstone units. Double vision on the screen was crazy! That's been tempered down from what I understand, I never get that far north anymore to see how it is now.

The answer to most questions from 'experienced' aviation folks, coming up to raise an eyebrow at those of us flying every day in AK, is that it's different, for a lot of reasons. Don't just assume something's wrong just because it's different. The exemptions and exceptions in the regs up here are enough to make an initial/new hire class pretty interesting!

Fly safe,

Ronin

Latest resources

Back