Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Transponder check out of date, how do you fly to the location?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You're worng. How's that? JK ;)

Once any inspection goes out of date, the ENTIRE aircraft becomes unairworty in the eyes of the FAA.

Again go to faa.gov, download a ferry permit, fill it out, fax it to the FSDO, they will aprove it, make the flight under the conditions of the permit. It's quite painless. In this case it's doubtfull you will even need an A&P to sign it.

As opposed to taking off, and getting ramp checked when you land at the other airport. Or even just worrying about that happening.

If the transponder itself was only broken, you would be fine with just calling the TRACON. But this is not the case, it is perfectly fine, only out of date therefore causieng the whole aircraft to become unairworty.

Stupid logic, I know, but that's the FAA. They care about paperwork, not safety.

You know what? For some reason the transponder won't turn on and the light won't work (jk) so its inoperative. Boooya Calling the ATC facility and getting a waiver. The airport is 7 miles away.

You know what? For some reason the transponder won't turn on and the light won't work (jk) so its inoperative. Boooya Calling the ATC facility and getting a waiver. The airport is 7 miles away.

NEGATIVE GHOSTRIDER, USMCMech will not allow that. Full compliance with all regs is mandatory and we will not have showboating here. The rules are not flexible, nor am I.

Do you understanding that Mav?

Pitot static is for IFR only, and every time I've sent a transponder out it comes back with a fresh transponder inspection... I don't see their reasoning for needing the whole plane.

They need the whole aircraft for the mode C portion of the test. They need to run the reporting up to check for accuracy within parameters. They also need to check the output power at the antenna to see that is is within specs also.

Pitot static is for IFR only, and every time I've sent a transponder out it comes back with a fresh transponder inspection... I don't see their reasoning for needing the whole plane.

You may have gotten the transponder back with a "fresh inspection", but you didn't get one back with a 91.413 sign off, you know, the one required every two years. ERJ is correct, the requirement is to check the entire system, ene to end.

I did some reserch and I was incorrect, the airplane can be flown. The only requirement is that the transponder must be OFF untill it is inspected.

I did some reserch and I was incorrect, the airplane can be flown. The only requirement is that the transponder must be OFF untill it is inspected.

With a waiver and calling the ATC facility. Right? (I am under a mode C veil, not within B, B @ 3000.) This is so stupid being that a cub can fly around all day long w/o a transponder. But regulations are regulations, I guess this is the reason for flight info---exchanging arguing, butting heads, throwing beer bottles about ideas on aviation.

You may have gotten the transponder back with a "fresh inspection", but you didn't get one back with a 91.413 sign off, you know, the one required every two years. ERJ is correct, the requirement is to check the entire system, ene to end.

I'll have to go look at the card again, maybe it's only good for part of the 91.413 inspection, but it specifically mentions it.

Also, Part 43 Appendix F (c)(1)(ii) seems to suggest that the tests can be done without the transponder in the airplane... I'm not an avionics expert by any stretch of the imagination though.

Anyway, we have a guy that comes out to our airport and does the checks, perhaps there is someone in the area that does that.

(b) Following any installation or maintenance on an ATC transponder where data correspondence error could be introduced, the integrated system has been tested, inspected, and found to comply with paragraph (c), appendix E, of part 43 of this chapter.

Erm, you installed it after you got it back from the shop right? When did you get the integrated system tested?

got it.

Latest resources

Back