• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Transitioning from 172 to 182..tips

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
not so much of a flare as in a 172.....more of a ride it in to greasy smooth squeek. Just keep your approach speed pegged and it will land itself, very fun airplane to fly!

I just did a checkout in a 182. I flew 172's and I have only about 100 hrs. Main point as others mentioned is watch the nose on landing. The yoke is noticeably heavier then a 172. You'll learn that you will want to use the trim properly to help the feel. You will learn about using the prop knob to increase performance. There is also learning on when to open and close the cowl flap. You will use the throttle to watch the manifold pressure vs using the rpm gage in a 172.

I learned to throw in the first 10 degrees of flaps abeam the nbrs on down wind after slowing to 80, then on base still doing about 80 and another 10 degrees and on final 65-70 (keeping only 20 degrees of flaps). The 182 is much heavier and will drop like a rock. If you find yourself high, just pull back some power and watch her sink.

Other then that, you should have no problem on the transition.

gkrangers said:
Thats kinda what I was lookin for, any different "feel" to it.

I'm not sure if its G1000 or not...I kinda hope not, too much extra learning and money involved!
yes, it is a G1000 equipped C182T. but just think about it: you get checked out in it, you're also checked out in our C172 NavIII airplanes. you're doing it the right way by killiing 2 birds w/ one stone.

b3

I'd just say keep the manifold pressure below rpm. LOL Those are fun planes to fly. Actually some balls behind those throttles (compared to 152, adn 172)

cforst513 said:
yes, it is a G1000 equipped C182T. but just think about it: you get checked out in it, you're also checked out in our C172 NavIII airplanes. you're doing it the right way by killiing 2 birds w/ one stone.
Makes sense...damn you and your flight school trickery mentality!!!!!!!!!

what are you talking about? it saves you money! if you got checked out in the 172's first, you'd still have to get checked out in the 182.

Landing with full flaps should be part of your skills, along with landing with no flaps. The C182 lands just fine with 40 flaps and a full stall. Many more nose prangs come from "flying it on" (no flare) and reduced flaps than full flaps and full stalls. If you do happen to bounce, go around. The third impact is usually where either the nose or the tail strikes.

Load a third person on board and try to get as near to max gross weight as possible. It's a bit different bird at max weight than 40% below gross.
Trim will be your friend, much more so than in the 172s.

Don't let the G1000 scare you. It's a big Garmin 430. Download and play with the simulators. Spend some time on the ground with a competent G1000 CFII and your inflight time will be greatly reduced.

Spend the time to learn engine management. If it's a turbo 182, 5 minutes to cool the turbocharger before shutdown will extend the turbocharger's life. Descent planning and airspeed control are more of a factor now than in the 172s. You can enter the pattern at 140 knots wondering when you'll have time to run the checklists, or, you can run the checklists and slow the plane before the pattern, enter the pattern at 100 knots and enjoy a normal approach.

Forget the old wives tales about 'square', M.P. below/above RPMs, leaning, and so on. Use the numbers in the POH and you won't go wrong.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Latest resources

Back