• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

transition to the darkside?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
After multiple bankruptcies I made the switch a while back. There is paperwork but it is to support and record the work you do. There is more reading and approval of company’s manuals, approval of training and procedures, and just about everything with 1 to 10 percent flying depending on job.

Much depends on the office you get hired at. Find out if the Inspectors like their bosses. If they hate them or would really not like to talk about it - look elsewhere.

Most weekends and holidays off. Some night and weekend work but you plan your own schedule and pick your own hotels. AND the paycheck comes every two weeks.

Last edited:
Heard there is some telecommuting allowed. This might be kinda sweet. Is it true?

i'm shocked that here on FI there hasn't been any bashing on this topic... you guys feeling ok?
thanks to all have given me there input... helps a lot... i know the guy in charge of our local fsdo and he is a pretty nice guy... though i only really know him in social settings... seems to me that the faa is a safe bet for job security (i've been through the furlough/ bankruptcy)...

I made the jump 6 months ago, so far no regrets at all. Like somebody else said, if you like being home with your wife and kids and having a stable job then this is a great place. PM me if you have any questions.

I'm curious how you guys kept up with the online application for the FAA. I filled out a few and found them cumbersome to say the least. I haven't gone back in to update them because I found them so onerous. Any tips to be moved to the top of the pile?

I'm curious how you guys kept up with the online application for the FAA. I filled out a few and found them cumbersome to say the least. I haven't gone back in to update them because I found them so onerous.

Agreed. Initially, completing the app is a real PITA! Once done though, it's not a big deal to update every 3-6 months.

Any tips to be moved to the top of the pile?

Not really, you're one fish in a sea of literally thousands.

If you have anyone you know at your FSDO, make sure they know you've applied. There are no Letters of Recomendation anymore...it's all online. The FSDO or whichever office is posting the position does have some input on who is selected to interview. If you're a veteran, your app gets bonus points. If you're a wounded warrior, bonus points again.

That's the best you can hope for.

You can expect it to take a minimum of 6 months for your app to make it through the system. I have heard of some going quicker but they're few and far between.

PM me if you like.

Latest resources

Back