Transition Lenses in the cockpit

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ForgedBlade

Not sure if this is a good place for this thread, but figured I may get some opinions on it...

Normally wear my Oakley Flak Jacket's and love the Gold Iridium lenses, especially for flying. Was looking in to their new transition lens, but wonder if it will be a decent lens, especially with cockpit lighting. Anyone use a transition lens and have good luck with it actually darkening up? Figured it may not get dark enough if all the outside light doesn't get in.

Any opinions appreciated!

I have transitions lenses and won't get them again. they do not darken up in the cockpit unless the sunlight is directly on them....which doesn't hapen very often in the cockpit.

I'll just get some "clip-ons" next time

They won't work in the cockpit or in the car, ect. They need direct sunlight. I like mine for all around use but if your looking for shades in the cockpit these are not the way to go.

I have transition lenses on my backups that I carry in my flight kit. On occasion I have worn them. They do not change drastically on the flightdeck because they must have exposure to UV light.

The fact that they do change somewhat though has made me wonder exactly how good the UV filtering of our windscreens.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I kind of figured they wouldn't change while in the cockpit. Looks like I'll stick with the Gold Iridium!

You will get laid though; if you wear them out on the overnights and to/from the crew bus. FAs dig them big time.

Ditto the above comments. I won't buy transitions again.

I have worn transitions for about 5 years. They will not darken-however I have flown comfortably with them. If you are in very bright conditions-take them off for 30 sec-hold them up against the non heated side windows-they will darken immediately-and you have your sunglasses back.

Latest resources

Back