Transition from Yoke to Joystick

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FoxyWhiskey

I'm interested to know what your experience has been from transitioning from an aircraft with a traditional yoke into one with a "Joystick", like the Airbus. Thanks! :)

-FW

Five minutes, and then you will have forgotten that is is "different".

You may even go so far, as to wonder why it isn't more common :)

not an issue at all. Getting used to the Airbus auto thrust system took a little bit longer, but likewise.........not an issue.

I like the comfort of not having the big old yoke inbetween your legs, but I prefer the yoke over a side stick anyday as far as flying goes. The first day you get a gusty 20kt crosswind in the Airbus, you'll wish you had a yoke back. When you get out the logbook or luck out and get some food on the MD-88, you wish you had the stick back. As far as the transistion goes, a couple of sim sessions and your in the ball-park.

In most aircraft that have the sidestick, isn't the autopilot clicked on immediately after takeoff anyway, and not clicked off until on short final?

Agree will all the above posts. Not an issue after 30 minutes. But I would prefer a yoke in a gusty crosswind, not much feel with the sidestick. Nice on long transcons though!

Latest resources

Back