Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

gringo

As good as it gets.
How hard would it be for someone to transition to the helo-side of the house, and get a decent job, if he's got 2200 hours of fixed wing time? I know I'd have to get all my ratings and such, but would my previous time geneally count for anything? Or should I expect to spend some time instructing to build up my hours?

I know that decent helo jobs require less time than comparable fixed-wing jobs (there's a heavy-lift operation out of a nearby airport that hired a girl with 400 hours to fly one of those big Sikorsky helos) but how much time is enough overall to get something that pays well? Or anything at all, for that matter?

What are competetive times for med-evac and such?

Thanks!

don't know what the current popular times are for helo jobs, but I can tell you that your fixed wing time will not count for very much.
Once you start flying helicopters, you will understand.

They're like motorcycles. Your car driving time doesn't count for much.

Most decent paying jobs require anywhere from 1000-2500 RW PIC time. When I say decent I mean low to mid $50's. Your total time will come in handy if you do build helo time and seek to fly as a dual rated pilot for a company that has say a jet and a jet ranger! Hope this helps.

Charlie-Echo64D said:
Most decent paying jobs require anywhere from 1000-2500 RW PIC time. When I say decent I mean low to mid $50's. Your total time will come in handy if you do build helo time and seek to fly as a dual rated pilot for a company that has say a jet and a jet ranger! Hope this helps.

Agreed. Turbine time is the fling wing version of multi-time. Without it, you aren't going anywhere. Back in the day when I taught, 1000 PIC turbine was the ticket out of the bottom rung.

I've been away from it a while, but back in 90, most guys who didn't fly in the military would flight instruct in R-22s/44s and/or 300s until they got some time, then move on to a place that did on-demand work if they place they were instructing didn't have any turbines. Once they got the 1000, they'd do a tour at PHI flying the gulf (of Mexico).

The place I instructed at had a charter side, as well as some photography and aerial crane. You had to put in about a year and 800 hours in house before you'd get near the Jet Ranger, longer for the MD, and someone would have to retire for you to move into the aerial crane side of things. Even then, the turbine time still came in trickles (5-10 hours a month).

It's a long, expensive (very) road for a civvie, especially for someone who still owes $$$ for their FW ratings. You'll be up against with pilots with a lot more chopper time for the decent jobs, and most of the dual rated jobs are filled by in-house people that run out and get quickie FW ratings (its MUCH easier going the other way). In all my years, I have NEVER seen a dual rated job that the posting wasn't just a formality....it was already filled, and they were jumping through corporate hoops.

Nu

Last edited:
It's funny, I just heard a radio ad this morning about an "outstanding career training opportunity". It was to train to become a helicopter pilot in Lakeland, FL. The ad said there was a "massive shortage" of helicopter pilots and that salaries would start between $70k and $100k. Smelled like BS to me, but I just thought I'd check.

Murdoughnut said:
It's funny, I just heard a radio ad this morning about an "outstanding career training opportunity". It was to train to become a helicopter pilot in Lakeland, FL. The ad said there was a "massive shortage" of helicopter pilots and that salaries would start between $70k and $100k. Smelled like BS to me, but I just thought I'd check.

There is a shortage of "EXPERIENCED" helicopter pilots. A rating and a few hours is not it. And that shortage will get bigger as time goes on. But you would need to "pay your dues" before you get to that point. Pay wise, that is a little high. A corporate S76 Captain for a Fortune 500 company, MAYBE.

Rick1128 said:
There is a shortage of "EXPERIENCED" helicopter pilots. A rating and a few hours is not it. And that shortage will get bigger as time goes on. But you would need to "pay your dues" before you get to that point. Pay wise, that is a little high. A corporate S76 Captain for a Fortune 500 company, MAYBE.

Ahh, interesting. I just figured that no civilian could reasonable get the necessary training that a military helicopter pilot has - and it just seems like there's way more of them then there would be jobs.

Rick1128 said:
There is a shortage of "EXPERIENCED" helicopter pilots. A rating and a few hours is not it.

Rick is right on the mark here. A FW pilot transitioning will be in even worse shape because he can complete his ratings in SOMEWHAT less total helicopter time because some of the FW time counts towards the TT/XC/etc for ratings.

But when you are looking for work, all helio companies care about is heilo time, and a FW guy will be that much more behind the power curve. Also, while I know a lot of guys bust on the R22/R44, there are a LOT of them out there, and a LOT of people use them for training. If you don't have the SFAR signoff and the time to train in them, you are shut out of a huge percentage of the entry level jobs.

Take it for what it's worth from someone who's been there. Unless you have a burning desire to fly helicopters over fixed wing AND/OR have the money (big money) and time to simply piss away or you have a sure thing set up with your rich uncle's best friend, I'd stick to what you're doing. The time, $$$ and effort will get you farther down the path you are already on. 6-8 months later and at least $40k spent, you will then be mostly unqualified for jobs in two different categories of aircraft, instead of having decent, employable qualifications in one.

My $0.02...

Nu

Latest resources

Back