Transcripts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

gonnafly

During the interview and hiring process, how closely are transcripts evaluated? I ask because an illness prevented me from completing a semester, and that semester shows as 4 "F's." My GPA is 3.5.:confused:

Transcripts were not looked at with care at the three carriers I interviewed with. They had plenty of room to ask questions about them, as my GPA was significantly lower than yours, but instead they focused on what I had done in the intervening twenty years.

In reality, as long as you are able to explain why you obtained three F's in a row (and what you learned from that problem) you will be fine. Employers understand that someone with an overall 3.5 is not stupid or lazy--and those are the only two reasons one would get those kinds of grades during one semester.

These grades should not be a problem; just be ready to explain what happened and move on.

GPA

I recall that at least one company asked for my college transcript while I was in the aviation job market ten years ago. I don't remember for what kind of job or which company. If it'll make you feel any better, I can state affirmatively that I was not asked about my college academic "record." I use the quotes because, I assure you, it was nothing to write home about. At least I graduated in four years while many of my friends and classmates did not. I was in a tough program, too.

I was ready to explain. I was not especially motivated in college. I found aviation and found motivation to excel (meaning something I really liked and should have taken up years before). Maybe some maturity, too. I got mostly 90s on my writtens. Then, in my 40s, I attended paralegal school, which required far more studying and preparation than college. I didn't miss a class, got a 4.0 and graduated with honors.

With a 3.5, you have nothing to worry about. Your explanation is 100% plausable.

Good luck with getting the interview and "the interview."

As long as your not going to a COEX interview I wouldn't worry about it.
If anyone does ask, which I doubt they would, just be able to give an explanation as to why it occurred and what you learned from it.
I had a couple on my transcript.

Best of luck!

I agree that a few Fs, in the context of a 3.5 GPA, won't make a bit of difference to anyone. If it would make you feel better, however, you might look in to whether your school will allow you to retroactively withdraw from those classes.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back