transceiver......help please

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

charlie6276

ok, i'm not a pilot...but i work for a university and we are looking for a very powerful transceiver....the one we have now is an aviator pro II made by YAESU....it only works when the planes are high and relatively close to our position (on ground). We need one that woops some rear though. I know very little about transceivers...except how to operate them. Is the output power what I'm looking for? most handhelds say 5 watts....that doesn't seem very much. Anyway...our budget is for anything less than or around $1000. We need a really nice one....that can pick up a plane a long ways away...hopefully about 50 miles....(am i dreaming??). If anyone has any advice...let me know. Thanks.

[email protected]

You need a better antenna. Hook up an external antenna to it. That will help a lot. Place the antenna in a good location. High and clear of obstructions if possible. You might be able to get by with a mobile type antenna on the roof but a base station antenna would be your best bet. Good luck!

I would agree that the issue is most likely the antennae. Most of the handhelds have the same power output. I have a Vertex Standard (Formely Yeasu) and it works great with an external antennae.

- AZPilot

How about an old King Radio, a transformer, and a rooftop antenna? Does it have to be handheld? An old radio will have higher output and be cheaper. A local avionics shop might be able to set you up. Also, the higher you get the antenna the better.

1.) 5 watts is about it (as regulated by the FCC).

2.) VHF communications are "line of sight", so the recommendations for an antenna on higher (highest) ground are best advice.

3.) You are not a pilot - why do you need a "tranceiver"? Please do not transmit on aviation frequencies. In the NY area the FCC had to dispatch tracking vans to find people messing with JFK frequencies. It is a violation, you know, unless you have a pilot's license or a specific radio-telephone license granted by the FCC. Listening on a receiver is fine and receivers are far cheaper than tranceivers.

I sure hate to sound like the FCC or aviation police, but this smells really funny. Moderator, you should consider deleting this ASAP to prevent people from learning (not like it would take much) how to disrupt aviation communication.

Hopefully, the original poster really meant they wanted a good RECEIVER.

Latest resources

Back