Trans States Airlines

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dan

Hey folks, I have an interview with TSA in Dec. I've already been told by them that there will be no Sim ride. 1.Does anyone know what kind of questions they ask in there interviews. 2. Are they a good company to work for? 3. Are they placing pilots into the J41 or are jets an option? 4. Pilot Bases? 5. up grade time? 6. How long training is?
THX Dan..

Try tsalounge.com
:D

>>1.Does anyone know what kind of questions they ask in there interviews.

Do a search on this site and also go to www.aviationinterviews.com

>>2. Are they a good company to work for?

If you have to ask...

Seriously, there's better and there's worse. Unless you live in STL I doubt anyone puts TSA at the top of their wishlist.

>>3. Are they placing pilots into the J41 or are jets an option?

Right now all lowtimers are getting stuck in the jet. Most but not all furloughees get the J41.

>>4. Pilot Bases?

STL and RIC

>>5. up grade time?

Today it's around four years but planned expansion will lower that number significantly in the coming months.

>>6. How long training is?

At least two months.

Dude

Is the RIC base substantial, or is it just a few aircraft? I went to TSA Lounge to get some information, and didnt find out too much. Are the routes from RIC basically to PIT, PHL, DCA, LGA? or are their other places too? Just a little bit more information would be appreciated.

You will be based in RIC as a new hire (just like ALL other new hires so far). They say after about 1/2 year you might be able to bid back to STL. But so far those are the only two choices. Possibly more coming for United flying. Everyone's going to the EMB145 so far, except a few CQFO's per class (those are mostly ex-TWA guys with lots of time - going to the STL based J41). Right now, seniority isn't going up, but TSA is planning on 30 new hires a month till sometime fall of 04, at least (and chances are much more if they get the United deal expanded).

The thing is, that the company pays you 60 hours while in training, so that's enough for your crashpad and food, etc. If you get in to TSA right now, you're at the beginning of the hiring wave, that means you might make a CPT in 2 years or so, which nowadays isn't all that bad comparing other places...

So, let's say at places like Comair, pay is much better, but get into Comair now and you'll be an FO for AT LEAST 5 years. So you think it out which one is better (I'd say get in anywhere you can, cause it's really really competitive).

Training - that lasts about 2 to 2.5 months. They don't make you wait too long, since as of now, they're short of pilots. You're not even on reserve any longer than a month, so that's good, you get to fly the line right away.

Any TSA is getting more destinations than a few pointed out by Hazmat.

Post more Questions if you need to, I'll try to let you know what I can...

good luck

here's another question: when do you start to get flight benefits/jump seat? I would like to be able to see my wife a few times during training if I get the job. My interview is Dec. 4. Very pumped about it.

I lived in St. Louis and bugged the crap out of them with resumes but only 40 hours of multi with 2400 total. No response so I moved the family to Nashville. 600 multi hours later they are calling which is GREAT but I just moved from there 8 months ago!! UUUUUGGHHHH!!! Thanks for the help and info guys.

oh yeah and this one: TWADude said lowtimers are getting the jet. I know 3k+ isn't exactly low time but thats with no turbine or 121 at all. what do you think the chances are of getting the jet vs j41? It doesn't really matter long as she's got wings but I thought maybe upgrade would be faster in j41, but I know the EMB145 is a sweet ride. Also my last 4 is in the 8 thousands so I will be at the bottom of class if this makes any difference.

As far as hiring requirements for TSA.

1500 Total
500 Multi

They are pretty strict on those minimums, but a few have gotten through with less. A recommendation always helps. Classes are about 30 people each for the next few months and who knows after that. The company just sent a letter to the union of their intent to pursue 70 seat aircraft. They also just started taking applications through airlineapps.com

TSA Pilot

210FR8DOG said:
here's another question: when do you start to get flight benefits/jump seat?

As soon as you get your ID you can jumpseat on TSA flights and that's during the first week. They will tell you that you shouldn't jumpseat offline until after IOE but it's not written anywhere. The problem the chief pilot told me is that you're not in SABRE so they can't verify your employment. If you have a problem and it gets back to management they'll probably can you. OTOH, if you jump on a non-SABRE carrier (i.e. not AA/AE/Conn or USAir/Express) then TSA won't know anything so you're okay. I know for a fact that some have jumped without trouble so you'll want to ask around when you get here.

At 3000 hours you're certainly not low time but you are when compared to the furloughees being assigned as cqfo's. Thus far all cqfo's have been furloughees.

Dude

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back