Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Noam

Hi,

I'm an FAR 121 airline pilot. I was under the impression that a valid FAR 121 airline ID is enough to get through security at any airport to get a jumpseat pass at the gate.

However, I was recently harassed/embarassed by a TSA manager that refused to let me through the security checkpoint.

Does anyone have any documentation on TSA's current policy? I looked on their webpage but can't find the page anymore where it says an airline employee commuting to work can go through security with an airline badge.

The complaints and letters are coming.

Thanks,

Noam

Were you in uniform? If you were, you should have had no problem. If you weren't, that ID probably wouldn't help much.

Every airport is run like its own little police state. Acutally the airport manager is the one who has the say and he gives the ruling to the TSA. I have been checked inside out and backwards everytime I went through security the last 5 days, in and out of uniform. "Just strip me and let me go......."

I have found that TSA doesn't recognize some airline id's if you try to commute at an airport your company doesn't have operations.

Makes me wonder, sometimes, why they issue ID's anyway. :rolleyes:

(Don't lecture me...I know the reason. It's just frustrating.)

Like the above message said, it depends on the airport. Now I always ask TSA employees at the particular airport on my way out after arriving at a new place I hadn't jumped to before. That way I know how early I have to arrive when I leave (I know if I will have to stand in line to get a boarding pass or if I can just go straight to security). I have also found that I haven't had any problems getting through security with the airline ID while not in uniform at those airports that don't require a boarding pass for airline employees to get through security.

I have one better for you. I commute out of an airport that my airlines does not serve. There is a security check point at every concourse. (bad design of airport) and the procedure is different at every checkpoint. Bottom line just go with the flow. What ever they want just give it to them. It makes them feel important.

The airline I fly for only operates in Alaska. I commute from Seattle and have jumped to a couple of other places. We only recently started wearing uniforms, so before all I had was my id. I have never had to show my company id though. My SIDA id has gotten me through everywhere I have gone without any problems.

I've had no problem going through any airport security checkpoint with civvies and my ATL badge/ASA ID.

Latest resources

Back