"Tranny" Replacement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SWA Bubba

Sorry to interrupt the very entertaining recent phenomenon of hijacking every thread having to do with AA (or money in general), into a theoretical discussion comparing the excesses of the practice of bad capitalism, versus government intervention or redistribution (or whatever other suggestions put forth), but I've got an important question:

It's come to my attention that someone has proposed a new term for our Airtran-born, but-soon-to-be-Southwest, brethren, to replace (or at least augment) the term sometimes considered insulting or a perjorative, "Tranny." Obviously, since political correctness is the most important factor in the world these days, someone (not me) came up with "Citroid."

At first, it sorta' reminded me of a fruit-flavored, curiously strong mint or something, but lately it's started to grow on me. What say you guys? I'm especially curious to hear the opinion of that really mad guy (I forget his name), who was gonna' go all Rambo on anyone who used the old term.

Comments, my Airtran brothers?

Bubba

How about just calling them "Smurfs" like the rest of us call you.

Or perhaps just not calling them any "name" at all. The longer you keep that up, the longer before the wounds are healed and you can all be one big happy family.

Or perhaps just not calling them any "name" at all. The longer you keep that up, the longer before the wounds are healed and you can all be one big happy family.

Strange....

I'm almost sure that I asked Airtran guys this question. Hmmm... Ah well, I guess I should have worded it more carefully to prevent confusing some of the Alaska folk.

Bubba

PS By the way, human nature being what it is, there's always gonna' be this sort of stuff. It's got nothing to do with being one happy family. Hell, Southwesters call our ex-military guys "kernals," but that doesn't mean we don't still love 'em. For example, you call us Southwest guys "corndogs" or now "smurfs," but that doesn't mean we're not still your friends. Right, Fubi?

Hey Bubba, Maybe it has something to do with the latest comment on TV, by Neil Patrick Harris (the actor know as Doogie Houser). He recently had to apologize for referring to transvestites as "Trannies". I guess they don't like that term for some reason, so now its a bad word.

The true soul of aviation profession exposed in FI thread

Sorry to interrupt the very entertaining recent phenomenon of hijacking every thread having to do with AA (or money in general), into a theoretical discussion comparing the excesses of the practice of bad capitalism, versus government intervention or redistribution (or whatever other suggestions put forth), but I've got an important question:

It's come to my attention that someone has proposed a new term for our Airtran-born, but-soon-to-be-Southwest, brethren, to replace (or at least augment) the term sometimes considered insulting or a perjorative, "Tranny." Obviously, since political correctness is the most important factor in the world these days, someone (not me) came up with "Citroid."

At first, it sorta' reminded me of a fruit-flavored, curiously strong mint or something, but lately it's started to grow on me. What say you guys? I'm especially curious to hear the opinion of that really mad guy (I forget his name), who was gonna' go all Rambo on anyone who used the old term.

Comments, my Airtran brothers?

Bubba

How about "grow up".... does that work for you?

Gee, you dodged the question, Bubba. Why do you even have to have a clever name for ex-AAI guys? To remind them of their "place" in the Smurf world? Why not just issue "Hired not Acquired" bag tags to all premerger SWA pilots?

Do you have clever "names" for the ex-Morris guys? The ex-Muse guys? The ex-Transtar guys?

I know you were trying to be cute, but no matter how clever your "names" for a subgroup are, its still a means of keeping them "in their place."

Maybe if you just refer to them as "boy" they'll get the message.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back