Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Folding_Expert

The FNG
Well, I just got back from today's lesson and it was great.

Went up around 9:30am and had a chance to finally practice dodging the numerous puffy cumulus clouds that are typical of a summer morning here in south Florida (every time I've went up thus far, the mornings have been clear up until this week).

Anyway, did about a half dozen T&G's at a small airport (while practicing engine/altimeter/airspeed failures) and, for the first time, I noticed a few of my landings were completely unassisted - my instructor kept his hands in his lap. Talk about a good feeling. :)

Anyway, just thought I'd pop in and let everyone know how I'm faring. :D

LewisU_Pilot said:
Congrats. Any talk of solo?

Well, I'm around 15 hours now and pretty confident I can fly the plane around the pattern and come back safely, but not yet. Although, I've heard that he likes to keep these things a secret.....

Has anyone had an instructor that likes to keep your first solo secret until the last possible moment? Like stepping out right before you call ground to taxi? :p

I told my instructor I wanted to solo on my 16th bday. So I knew it was coming. Before I went to the DMV I stopped by the airport and I just didn't know when he was going to jump out. We did 2 landings with taxi backs and on the third he just jumped out without saying anything. I have never seen someone take off there seat belt and fall out of a plane so fast. While he was closing the door he gave me a thumbs up and a smile. It didn't really hit me I was up there alone until I was on a right downwind abeam the numbers and notice no one was sitting next to me. I yelled out HOLY SH%T and the rest is history.

i usually tell my students they are getting close...but when they are ready i plan a time to go up when the pattern is empty, go up for 2-3 t/o's and landings, then ask/tell them they are going up alone!

My solo was unexpected for the most part. We had been discussing it but when the day came the wind x-wind was from the left, not the right as usual so right from the start things were a bit different. We stayed in the pattern, did a few t&g's - on the last go around he kept looking at his watch (the company is primarily charters but also offer instructions -and charters come first) and said "well I've got a charter and conditions are not favorable for you to solo today, sorry" I said no problem and taxied to the tie-down, as I stopped the plane I heard the passenger door pop open and looked over to see him jumping out, which was odd as he always stayed in the plane until it was shut down - he said "why don't you go ahead and take it up" - so even though I knew it was coming, it was a total surprise when it did

My solo actually wasnt all that exciting. I was ready long before he let me and when it finally did he pretty much gave me a heads up a few days before. It finally happened and I wasmore like "finally" rather than "holy **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**!"

Illini Pilot said:
i usually tell my students they are getting close...but when they are ready i plan a time to go up when the pattern is empty, go up for 2-3 t/o's and landings, then ask/tell them they are going up alone!

Pattern empty at Willard? thats somewhat of an oxymoron hehe.

Its always fun to let go of your students... tell them to taxi back "drop me off and have some fun". I had one student say "are you f****g kidding me?" "hmmm no, thats settled"

Illini pilot, are you part time or full time down there?

Arno

Latest resources

Back