Training thoughts...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flint4xx

OK, I've been out of instructing for awhile. I have agreed to help a friend of mine get his airplane IFR. He has SEL, and Comm Rotorcraft, no IFR time.

After reviewing the latest FAR's, I see it this way: He needs 40 hours actual or simulated, which could be in either airplanes or helicopters, which could be with a safety pilot. Of that he needs 15 hours of IFR instruction in airplanes with 3 in prep for the test, and a 250 mile flight under IFR.

Of course this is just what the FAR's require, unless I'm reading them wrong. What he will really need in practice may be another story.

Comments?

Yep, pretty much, that's it, except he will also need to have logged 50 hours of x/c PIC time of which at least 10 hours is in airplanes, and be sure to read closely the IFR x/c requirement is with an instrument instructor and includes 3 different kinds of approaches.

Interesting note here: I have always thought it said the x/c had to include 2 other airports other than the airport of departure, and a different kind of approach at each airport. I think it did once say that, but now it does not, so it could be out to an airport at least 125 nm away, do 2 different kinds of approaches, and return to departure point with a 3rd different kind of approach.

I wasn't ever really clear on that point either. Total mileage of 250...not from point of departure.

Latest resources

Back