Training the CFI - advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
follow the PTS.

They know how to fly, but encourage them to talk, and explain what they are doing. Have them teach your numerous lessons on the ground, then go out and explain/demonstrate the lessons.

I agree with gizbug, follow the pts and get 'em talking... If you have other students (non cfi) have the cfi applicant teach lessons to them...the more you have him explain things out loud the better off he'll be. Also, lesson plans for every maneuver is a very good idea, pain in the a#$ but great practice.

I was in a cfi class with 4 others and we took turns teaching eachother lessons that the instructor had previously taught. It helped me so much, it was a great approach.

-Thanks out there in Henderson, NV !!

That's my 2cents

Last edited:
You're a Master CFI so I don't think its a problem but remember your qualifications under 61.195(h).

After that, make your FSDO contacts now - hopefully you will be sending your candidate to someone you know.

Gear your student for a lot of ground school and very little flying.....but don't fry his/her brains by only doing ground school for long periods.

FOI, lesson plans, then a little reward flight - first lesson is just flying from right seat and doing EVERYTHING from that seat. Make 'em start the airplane, run the checklists, everything by reaching and saying excuse me, etc. Don't help.

FOI, lesson plans, and then a reward flight - teach me the lesson plan.

FOI, lesson plan on Stalls and Spins and then a flight of dubious rewards - spin training and endorsement (my favorite!!!!) This is the only lesson plan that I will spend a great deal of time on the ground teaching all of the missed concepts of the spin. I explain everything in gorey detail so the candidate is not surprised. The concept of freefall with an airplane strapped to your back usually gets their attention.

And then boredom....

FOI, lesson plans, FOI, lesson plans, FOI, lesson plans and hey you're ready - let's go take a checkride.

Everytime you fly pull stupid pilot tricks - upset the airplane, freeze on the controls, stall or cross control the airplane - make 'em sweat a little. Do a preflight and leave the fuel caps off. Leave a door unlatched. Open a door on liftoff - that's always a good one. Be a royal pain in the arse, but teach them not to trust you.

If this is a CFIA - make sure you see the candidate fly everything in the PPL and COMM manuevers to PTS standards. If they do it on the first run - fine - no sense kicking a dead animal. Move on and find weaknesses in the candidate's own flying - they should be comfortable teaching everything in the PPL and COMM. If I fly 10 hours with a candidate, well I've done too much!

Good luck - oh and write your own syllabus (you're an MCFI) - you have to keep sharp too! The comments about following the PTS are spot on.

Last thing - if you do a really good job, your CFI candidate will hate you right up until they get their first student. Why? You overtaught them for the checkride but you just barely scratched the surface on what REAL students are like!

Latest resources

Back