Training Contract Terms

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mr. Irrelevant

I wanted to check and see how many replies I could get about contracts people have signed or been offered and turned down. If you're willing to post, please list the type of aircraft, the time length of the contract, the repayment amount and the company. I don't care if it's a corporate part 91, charter 135, regional or fractional.

I have no idea if I'll get 30-40 replies or none at all but if you do post, thanks for your reply.

Mr. I.

P.S. I agree with G200 that if the job is good enough, well, then the employer/company doesn't need to require a contract.

Tell them that you'll sign a mutal contract. If you quit, you owe them for prorated training costs. If you get laid off/furloughed/fired, they pay you a prorated "bonus" equivelant to the training costs.

make sense?

Accepted: 8 months for training in a AC500 Part 135 - 5 hours+ / night, home every night, weekend and holidays. Same route etc. If broken they wouldn't give a positive letter of reference. Explained that they have never chased up on anyone - really a gentleman's aggreement.

On the table: 2 years non-prorated for a Cheyenne 1A position, $9000 (in house training FAA checkride), and possibility of moving into a BE400, which would start the clock, and increase the training all over again - pay TBD. No moving expenses, 10 minutes to the airport, 30 minutes wheels up. 12 hour duty days, maybe 2 hours flight/day.

Majority of 135/91 contracts are 12 months, many departments will prorate it in the event that you leave early. I would be somewhat skeptical of signing any contract longer than 12 months. Some states these contracts can be legally enforced, other states they cannot be. Do a bit of research prior to signing one and make certain you have a backup plan in place should the job not pan out or it's not what you thought it would be and you are only 3 or 4 months into the contract. I have seen quite a few pilots burned on them, be careful. If the company is respectable, and a good overall operation then I am in agreement with your last sentence, sometimes easier said than done though.

good luck

3 5 0

I hear what you're saying 350. My thought is if I can get enough responses(observations in statistics speak), I'll crunch the numbers, get an average and some other metrics(1 or 2 Standard Deviations) and throw it back to the company in negotiations since their numbers in my estimation are way out of bounds.

I would not ever sign one without a contract attorney reviewing the contract. I'm not sure I'd sign one at all but I can understand a company not willing to pay for the training and then have a pilot move on after a month. Two year contracts non-prorated are just a way of grabbing a pilot by the balls.

Mr. I.

Latest resources

Back