• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Training a CFI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's the other way around. You let him start.

CFI training

Are you at a school and/or did you get your CFI from a school? Use the syllabus from one or the other or both. Maybe you have a colleague or bud(s) who got their CFI(s) from a school and will let you borrow their course materials.

In any event, get the CFI PTS. You can create a course around that. After all, the PTS IS the test. The PTS will refer to standard FAA materials which your student will be expected to know.

You will spend most of your time at the beginning drilling your student on the FOI. You, and every CFI, should know the FOI cold. Then, later, you will become the "student" as your trainee teaches you the maneuvers. You will spend a good amount of time oralling your student and critiquing his/her presentation.

For flying, first let your student get comfortable with flying out of the right seat. I'd suggest that you practice landings on EVERY flight. After your student is comfortable flying from the right seat, start working on the Private and Commercial maneuvers.

Emphasize to your student that while flying that he/and she must talk up everything he/she is doing at every moment. Your student should never stop teaching.

Hope this helps. What is neat about training a CFI student is you will get surprisingly good refresher training and be paid for it.

Last edited:
Jaybird is right. The whole point is he is supposed to teach you. Give him a few lesson plans to work on and see what he comes up with.

I agree with you 100%, but . . . .

you, as instructor, still have to coach your student and guide him/her. Yes, your student will be teaching you, as "student," but your job is to help your student hone his/her patois.

Last edited:
Look in the CFI PTS and take the lessons one by one. he should make lesson plans and try and teach u giving brief on ground and then demonstrating that lesson in the air. u should critique him and correct him whereever u feel like. also depends what he is doing as initial, CFI,CFII or MEI so u'll have to make the study pattern according to that. i hope this helps......

Do you feel qualified to train a CFI? Just because you've been a CFI for two years doesn't necessarily make everyone qualified. I see you're a mei, if a student showed up in an MU-2 would you instruct them? Remember, this cfi student will be teaching others to fly. So far it sounds like you're on the right track to ask others for help. Are there any more experienced cfis where you teach that could help you? Be honest with your student. If you don't know the answer, look it up. Research is a big part of being a cfi. Pass that on to your student. Good luck!

There are some great books on teaching CFI's. Kershner's CFI book is a good reference. Greg Brown's Saavy Flight Instructor book has good practical info, but look elsewhere for technical knowledge. My top recommendation is June Bonesteel's CFI Oral Exam Guide. It'll make your head spin. June is based in the Phoenix area and has a weekend seminar for CFI applicants that is a great investment. You can order her books from:
www.junebonesteel.com
I use her materials with my CFI applicants. The main thing I try to teach my applicants is professionalism. Good luck with your CFI, it's a long, and sometimes painful road.

Latest resources

Back