• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Trained Attack Line Guy

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I tip for service that is outstanding. Period. Did the person go above and beyond? Then, a tip might be in order. I agree that so many think that because they drive up my rental car, or put a pitot cover on that I'm gonna chuck some cash their way. And I hate to say, but I especially dislike when my plane gets ditched for the G5 coming in, hoping to grab some cash...sorry, dude - all I've got is a Falcon.

I feel good that I live in a culture where tipping is NOT required or expected. Service in my part of the world is usually better than I have experienced in the USA. But I do give tips for exceptional service.

Go figure...

As far as the line guy was concerned - I would have laughed my ass off...

I feel good that I live in a culture where tipping is NOT required or expected. Service in my part of the world is usually better than I have experienced in the USA. But I do give tips for exceptional service.

Go figure...

As far as the line guy was concerned - I would have laughed my ass off...

lol new zealand, you folks sound funny

What would you expect to receive as a tip for coffee, ice, papers? a few (3)bucks is what i usually give. We get reimbursed for tips on the road.

I tip for lav service and baggage help. I don't tip when I buy fuel. I worked line service in my early days and never expected a tip for doing my job, now everybody wants a tip.

I only tip waiters, bartenders, van drivers and the lady that cuts my hair.

I tip for service that is outstanding. Period. Did the person go above and beyond? Then, a tip might be in order. I agree that so many think that because they drive up my rental car, or put a pitot cover on that I'm gonna chuck some cash their way. And I hate to say, but I especially dislike when my plane gets ditched for the G5 coming in, hoping to grab some cash...sorry, dude - all I've got is a Falcon.

:laugh: LOL. I know what you're saying, I love pulling up to the ramp in a lowly hawker with 4 line guys walking us in only to see all of them take off before we can even shut down cuz a global pulls in next to us. Sometimes all we're left with is a wave from the lady in the coffee cart as she goes flying by.

On a tip note, we do tip pretty regularly. Any time someone services the lav, helps out with bags, helps with the pins/covers (especially in the rain), makes a quick turn fast by having the gas ready, etc. All the time? No.

One thing that's annoying is ASE, it's pounded into your head that all those guys work for tips. waaaaaaah, awwwwww, booooo-hooo. They are very helpful, but I HATE getting the tip guilt trip, especially by a bunch of 40 year old ski bunnies. Annoying.

I used to work the ramp myself way back when, handling corporate and fractionals and the occasional big sports charter. We were pretty much a tipless operation (and yes, I did make a hilarious typo a few moments ago) and we didn't expect to receive them. We were, however, very thrilled and very greatful when we did get one.

I remember one occasion when a Netjets C750 customer tipped me a 20 for carrying his CAT 50 yards from a car to the plane. Dang heavy cat it was too.

Many times with the sports charters, we didn't get cash tips but we did get the leftover galley catering. Believe me, those baseball and basketball teams went all out on the catering but hardly ever ate any of it. We'd all be in the line shack pigging out like kings, chowing on baked pasta and ice cream and potato skins and piles of sandwiches.

There was one charter for a baseball team, I won't say the name but the initials were Seattle Mariners, who somehow managed to crap 9000 pounds of cargo into a 727-100. They had a suitcase, gear bag, and golf clubs for each person in addition to all the team equipment. These guys even carried a full set of freeweights, an exercise bike, and a frogging trampoline with them! We got it all into the cargo hold somehow, all the while the team trainer was barking at us for not going fast enough. When it was all done, he huffed at us and remarked how slow we were, but we ended up getting a 20 each from the PIC the FO and the FE.

Latest resources

Back