Traffic Conflicts at Aspen - Interesting Comment

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

johnsonrod

I found this on the ProPilot Mag website (Av Hazzard). Anyone experience similar traffic conflicts coming into or out of ASE? Is it like this only during the busy winter season? Obviously you fractional pilots probably experience this first hand. Any thoughts? See below:

Traffic conflicts in Colorado

Opposite direction departure and arrival procedures are necessary and the norm for ASE (Aspen CO). However, ASE tower controllers consistently exercise the reckless practice of launching aircraft off Runway 33 without adequate separation from aircraft landing on Rwy 15. Recently, while well inside a 3 mile final we were shocked when the Avanti holding short of Rwy 33 was cleared for immediate takeoff. Our separation from the banking Avanti while on short final was unacceptable. After a telephone call to the tower I was assured that this was not normal procedure. Moments later however, while in the cockpit preparing for the next leg I heard a repeat of our situation playing out over the radio. Both pilots questioned the controller with obvious uneasy tones in their voices. I knew the feeling all too well.
__ATP. Dassault Falcon 50EX

I have had it happen quite a bit...But never 3 miles...I would refuse the T/O clearance if he is that close.

Seems like it happens everytime I go in there, but rarely inside of 3 miles. If it was inside 3 miles it was usually an airplane taking his sweet time getting to the rwy33 and finally taking off. I've seen a few close calls in there and never once has anyone gone around, aborted, or refused something. Pretty sad considering its a dangerous airport with regards to wx and terrain to begin with and now we throw in traffic conflicts. Changes will be made eventually..........after something happens.

Go arounds there are not the best options either...obviously better than a mid air but.....?

Never had it happen to me. I have always been told of inbound aircraft and they were always on the downwind leg when we lifted off.

I would hold short before taking the runway if they were inside 3 miles.

Ase conflicts

We were IMC on the approach when tower advised we had Lear traffic departing at our 1 O'clock. WTF, over!!!!

Pretty common practice there. I don't like how close they cut it sometimes.

A half a dozen years ago or so, a couple of our RTA guys in a Hawker were on 3-4 mile final when ASE tower had a BAEjet depart opposite direction. On short final, the Hawker crew had a violent roll to the right...they said it seemed like darn near 90 degrees. There's a little knoll there on short final (or at least there was). The owner was sitting in the right front facing seat and told the crew later that he could see the grass blowing in the breeze as they passed over the knoll. They had just finished up FSI recurrent a day or two earlier and made an instantanious and luckily sucessfull go around for a return and landing. Needless to say, the owner was thanking them all the way into the FBO.

Ever notice how the tail wind for landing Rwy 15 in Aspen is ALWAYS 9kts? I'm not sure anyone could "legally" land ryw 15 in ASE if they told the truth..

KASE is an example of how money trumps safety, and demonstrates the value of experienced pilots. (KSUN is a similar case, but ATC appears to be maintaining standards a little better.)

All we can do is keep our heads up, our eyes open, and use good judgment to keep ourselves and pax safe.

ASE is the only airport I know of that allows traffic to t/o while others are landing on the oppostite rwy! I also like it when twr asks me "what tailwind can you accept for departer" The wind on departure end of 33 is always 10 knts or less.

Latest resources

Back