Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

9drvr

Hello...............

Do any readers know anything about Tradewinds Airlines in GSO??? They fly Airbus A-300 freighters.

Pay, working conditions, benefits, how good is the maintenance, management attitude toward the pilot group, union, or pilot association, schedules, etc.

I understand they are starting a Hong Kong crew base for flights into China. Anyone know about time on-time off, per diem, overseas pay, paid hotel. etc,

thanks

9drvr.

I followed one of their A300s out of DFW one night last year and even asked the controller where they were going after they were cleared directly to Sarasota. The tradewinds FO got on and said that they were flying cargo to some small city in Puerto Rico. Sounds interesting.

Bye Bye--General Lee:rolleyes: :cool:

This isn't gospel, but I believe they have a contract with Wrangler where they fly Denim to somewhere in the Carribean (Puerto Rico?) and then fly finished jeans back to GSO. I'm sure that they do other cargo, as well.

Tradewinds, if I'm not mistaken, started out doing exactly what's mentioned above, hauling denim for VF Corporation (Vanity Fair, VF Jeanswear, etc.). To what extent their business has expanded beyond this I don't know. Unless I'm mistaken the company is based at GSO (also VF's home turf). I'd be as curious as anybody to find out more.

R

They fly from the US to Aguadilla, PR. We have a crew base there and they have a bunch of flights in and out, and yes I believe they are partially owned by the Vanity Fair Corp...Interesting stuff. If anyone else knows of their operation, hiring, etc. that would be great.

I'm from GSO and stopped by and talked to their Cheif Pilot a few years ago. It appeared to a a laid back good ol' boy company. Many pilots had been there for a lot of years. He told me that he had hired 10,000 hour pilots as well as 700 hour pilots. No real hard line hiring practice. Called for interviews from the most recent resume in the "qualified" pile. At he time, he inferred that they they don't hire all that often. They do a lot of flying to South America as well.

I know of a Captain and Flight Engineer that went there after a furlough and aren't real happy doing what they do. According to them, the schedules and the pay are "less than desireable". They are, however, happy to have jobs.

You are correct, I think Tradewinds is very selective in their hiring. When these 2 friends were hired, Tradewinds was giving a special look at some of us furloughed frieght dogs.

Latest resources

Back