Tradewind Aviation out of Oxford, CT

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

On Your Six

Anyone know much about Tradewind Aviation out of Oxford, CT? I have read a number of the older posts and they consistently say "low pay and overworked." Is that still the case? I have a friend who is looking into applying at Tradewind because he wants to return to that area of the country...

I hear they have added some new CJ3s are Bravos. Are those guys worked pretty hard? What about operating out of the Caribbean during the Winter - do all pilots do that including the jet pilots? I assume the Caravan and Pilatus pilots would do a lot of island hopping but I'm not sure about the jets...

Good place to be if qualified (my friend has about 3,000 hours with an ATP and Citation time)? Good QOL and pay? What are schedules like on the Bravo/CJ3? PMs are also welcome.

I saw on their website they have C208 Caravans too. Do those pilots alternate between San Juan in the Winter months and TEB in the Summer? Do the PC12 guys fly the C208s too? Interesting company.

I know An employee at Tradewind...inside scoop

They are on a complete hiring freeze and upgrade freeze.
Employees are fleeing the nest faster than a company should.

They grew too fast, hired too many, and don't have the income coming in to afford (or want to afford) increasing costs of pilots. (oops, they didn't consider 3-yr+ salaried pilots)

They are over worked in the summer months, and then mandatory C208/PC12 crews are forced to live with no extra per diem in San Juan Puerto Rico.
That is to be considered "home"...with a schedule of 4on/2off. You have to live with other pilots, and housing is covered. Transportation is only 2 cars for WORK use only.

Jet crews are on an 8on/4off schedule. There are 2 Bravos, and 2 CJ3's which are all currently for sale.
There is no prospect of getting these slots.
The jet pilots will have to die to abandon this cozy job. ($65K and up)

C208 pay is F/o 25K/yr CA 35K/yr
PC12 pay is F/o 42/yr CA 45K/yr
Bravo pay is F/o 45K/yr CA 55K/yr
CJ's parallel
These change as you gain senority per year.
Quite cheap for the PC12 and jets if compared to current rates in other co's.

My advice? Work a bit harder and aim for a larger more well established company, whose Chief Pilot isn't a 24 year old kid.

Last edited:
They are on a complete hiring freeze and upgrade freeze.
Employees are fleeing the nest faster than a company should.

They grew too fast, hired too many, and don't have the income coming in to afford (or want to afford) increasing costs of pilots. (oops, they didn't consider 3-yr+ salaried pilots)

They are over worked in the summer months, and then mandatory C208/PC12 crews are forced to live with no extra per diem in San Juan Puerto Rico.
That is to be considered "home"...with a schedule of 4on/2off. You have to live with other pilots, and housing is covered. Transportation is only 2 cars for WORK use only.

Jet crews are on an 8on/4off schedule. There are 2 Bravos, and 2 CJ3's which are all currently for sale.
There is no prospect of getting these slots.
The jet pilots will have to die to abandon this cozy job. ($65K and up)

C208 pay is F/o 25K/yr CA 35K/yr
PC12 pay is F/o 42/yr CA 45K/yr
Bravo pay is F/o 45K/yr CA 55K/yr
CJ's parallel
These change as you gain senority per year.
Quite cheap for the PC12 and jets if compared to current rates in other co's.

My advice? Work a bit harder and aim for a larger more well established company, whose Chief Pilot isn't a 24 year old kid.

why would anyone take this crappy job? capt pay in the PC12 and a caravan, red flag! not to mention baby sitting a co pilot in a single pilot aircraft. the whole san juan situation with the shared bunk hall and cars only allowed to go to work is a even bigger red flag!

why would anyone take this crappy job? capt pay in the PC12 and a caravan, red flag! not to mention baby sitting a co pilot in a single pilot aircraft. the whole san juan situation with the shared bunk hall and cars only allowed to go to work is a even bigger red flag!
Spoken by someone who's obviously never been there.

Ya, San Juan was cheaper to live in than St. Croix, so some gaited, barred window high rises in San Juan suffice as "home"...safe, real safe....

Latest resources

Back