Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Cactus-Wrench

Now LUV-Wrench :)
Hi all, apologize if this is the wrong area to post this but thought this might be the best area for feedback with the commuters from these airports.
We are looking at moving later this year to either the tampa area or hobby area and was wondering if anyone could share some insight as to these surroundings. We currently have a decent place on 2 acres in northern florida, but the commute to get to mco or tpa is at least 2 hours and then a flight to phx for her and mdw for me. Not to mention alachua county taxes are going through the roof here in northern florida.
We would like to shorten the commute time and live a little closer to one of these airports. Prefer to be 30-50 minutes away from either airport, would like to also not live in a "clone home" on a postage stamp lot, we would really like to have a couple acres. Have been trying to do some searches on places to live and realtor.com for housing but if you don't know the towns, it's a waist of time. Prefer smaller areas and don't need to be down the street from walmart or local nightclub.
Would love to stay where we are but the commuting expenses and time away are just getting out of control.
Anybody have some suggested areas to look at?
Thanks very much for the info and time.

With the Suncoast Expwy opening up, you can live in Pasco or Hernando County where homes are affordable and lots are bigger, and the commute to TPA is still very easy.

I live in downtown Tampa and would recommend what JerkyHerky said, Hernando or Pasco Counties are the newest places within 30-45 minutes, good prices and easy access to TPA via the Suncoast Parkway. IAH is OK, but with access to the Gulf of Mexico, Orlando only 1 1/2 hours away and a standard of living that is one of the cheapest in the country, I would stay in FLA.

Champ42272

If your thinking about Houston try The Woodlands.

I know that the area north of TPA airport all the way up to S.R. 54 has exploded in growth and you will have a hard time finding anything but sardine-packed houses on 1/4 acre lots. They long since bulldozed the horse farms where I used to ride as a kid. Now it seems you have to go further in to Pasco and Hernando county. If you are looking for easy access to Tampa and Orlando, try looking near State Road 50. It goes east/west straight into Orlando. It was my alternate route to get there when I-4 and I-275 were slammed with traffic. I believe the Suncoast Parkway goes up to or very near S.R.50 so if you needed to get to TPA airport or downtown, there is easy access. It will be another 5-10 years before the sprawl makes it's way all the way up to 50, and the property is still relatively affordable since it isn't right near a beach or big city.

Good luck to ya..

Thanks very much for all the replies so far, I will research a couple of the areas that were mentioned here and see what I can find out.

For Houston, the Woodlands would be one hell of a drive down to Hobby -- you would get tired of that commute if you had to drive it much. The traffic on I-45 and US59 can be a BEOTCH going from one side of Houston to the other.

I would recommend that you try the Friendswood or Pearland areas (south of Hobby) or the Clear Lake/Nasa areas. All are very nice, have all the amenities, good schools if you need that and are clean. You would be a 15-minute drive to HOU from any of them.

Good subject. Anyone have information for the Orlando area (probably between MCO and DAB. We are looking to move down there and would like to find places that haven't skyrocketed yet.

Thanks

Latest resources

Back