Toughest Approaches...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Offwidth said:
LDA 2 into Juneau, Alaska was always a good time.
Got that one thrown on me last year during a sim evaluation for a fortune 50 job. It was the full approach down to mins, OEI, then the miss to a hold. Flying was fine, but FSI Dallas stuck a loser in there with me, and babysitting him in a aircraft he is supposed to be a so called "expert" in was more time consuming than the approach. (IE, "Please center the heading bug" I had to tell him after EVERY turn) The approach was followed up a week later with a "thanks, but no thanks".

Drop into Maryland and give this on a go:
http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0608/05222VDTZ15.PDF

The Widowmaker someone spoke of earlier:
http://www.naco.faa.gov/d-tpp/0608/00354HI21.PDF

Last edited:
Immelman said:
VOR-DME 32 to MFR... check out the step-downs on that one.
You mean the LOC/DME BC 32 right? It's pretty fun. Very steep. If you have to stop at the MDA you're pretty much screwed for the straight in.

Oh I see that airnav's plate says it's a circling only approach now...I could swear that my plate says runway 32 on it...it's at the airport though.

Ralgha said:
You mean the LOC/DME BC 32 right? It's pretty fun. Very steep. If you have to stop at the MDA you're pretty much screwed for the straight in.

Oh I see that airnav's plate says it's a circling only approach now...I could swear that my plate says runway 32 on it...it's at the airport though.

Haven't got to try that one out yet. Sounds like a good time. ;)

MFR

EAT, wenatchee arch to vor approach. three hand offs and the third before you say anything your cleared for the approach, hope your slow enough. THe arch is fast and the step downs are faster, pop out on a angle...

Man tough approach is that that single girl at the end of the bar and hasn't been drinking and hates pilots...good luck!

Timeoff, 50% chance it was me. Two of us alternated that route in 2002. I am trying to figure out how to get my retirement landing from the cockpit video on that site. Almost got it ready to submit.

The HI-ILS full procedure at Roswell, NM is nicknamed "The Widowmaker
This may indeed be a hard approach but really shouldn't be in the same category as previous posts. Roswell is almost always CAVU, flat as a pancake, huge runways.:rolleyes:

Tegucigalpa, Honduras, we did it with the 727 back in '002, 6300' ft runway, sheer drop off at the end, and if I remember correctly a 5.4 degree g/s, WOW ! The GPWS was screaming the whole way down, but we made it. Day VFR only, thank God, I shudder to think of it at night,and in WX.

TGU has 6100 ft for runway 20 landing but for the hill on approach and fence and highway right at the runway end 02 has 5400 ft after a 700 ft displaced threshold. When you and I flew there the runways were 19 and 01. We were not allowed to land straight in because of the high hills on the approach center line. Our Air Force put a C130 off the cliff at the end of 20 a while back with disasterous results. FL350 has some video of approaches including our AA flight landing there. I am trying to add my retirement landing video from the cockpit now.

Latest resources

Back