• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Toughest Approaches

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
glad to see fokkers&beer still kicken it. jnu definetly but what about ktn swithching from loc to ndb to vor that is the willy nilly for those horizion guys. just playing i like the rides you give us.

Yeah, LDA 2 in JNU and Kodiak get my votes. Don't know what that guy from Colorado was yapping about the other day...

any approach into butte montana. DH is about 990, 10000 foot mountains on the east side.
The RNAV or NDB into KSUN are fun.

VFR, overgrossed Airtractor 301, with blown cylinder, oil on the windshield, oil temp rising, oil press and airspeed dropping, back to to wet, grass 1800 ft strip. with a left quarting tailwind of about 8 knots. Been there done that, yup it sucked!

bell47 said:
VFR, overgrossed Airtractor 301, with blown cylinder, oil on the windshield, oil temp rising, oil press and airspeed dropping, back to to wet, grass 1800 ft strip. with a left quarting tailwind of about 8 knots. Been there done that, yup it sucked!

I think we have a winner!!!

Shot the approach into Quito, Ecuador yesterday, the missed is pretty tricky. The thing about Quito is it sits at 9,000' MSL and theres a hill that requires a turn 2 miles from the airport. The high altitude does take a little away from the performance also. The terrain down there looks fairly similar to JNU however, I think the JNU approach is worse, and if you continue with only lights in sight the missed is scarier.

Last edited:
I've done Quito several times. If the wx is bad it can be interesting expecially if your a/c doesn't like to stop.

But I think LaPaz in bad wx or Valencia Venenzuela ndb appr. in the middle of the night is worse.

my 2 cents

satpak77 said:
try the VOR/DME into Tegucigalpa, MHTG

Been there done that one day I did 4 approaches(Full approaches 10 turns in the hold) before getting in. The locals were landing all around me but I couldn't see sh!t

Latest resources

Back