• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

9drvr

Hello guy's

I have a Q.........

My CFI, ASEL/MEL/Instrument expired in late 1989.

How do I renew it??????????

Do I have to take the CFI/IFI writtens all over again??????

I know I have to take a checkride in the aircraft, but if I take it in a C-172, is the multi-part gave to me at the end?????

Or........

Should I take the ride in a multiengine, and get the single engine "tacked on"when finished??????

Also, is this a FAA ride, or is there civil examiners that can do it??

I live in N. Texas, so a lot of flight schools exist nearby where I can do this.

Thanks.

9drvr.

Either, or. The FAA can do the ride, but an authorized designated examiner can also do it.

You may complete the practical test for any of your instructor authorizations, in any aircraft you're authorized to instruct in. For example, if you're airplane and helicopter, you can take the ride in a helicopter and it will reinstate all your privileges...not just helicopter.

You can also take a practical test for a new rating. For example, if you added on a glider rating to your instructor certificate, passage of the practical test for this new rating would also serve to reinstate your other flight instructor privileges.

You do not need to retake the knowledge exams.

Since 1989, quite a bit has changed. Even if you've been flying in the regular environment as a working pilot, there have still been numerous changes to FAA publications, instructional requirements and regulations, etc. You'll do best to prepare for the practical test for reinstatement in the same way you would prepare if you were taking the test for the first time. In so doing, get caught up on all the current requirements and details. If nothing else, it's a good review. Good luck!

CFI renewal

avbug said:
You can also take a practical test for a new rating. For example, if you added on a glider rating to your instructor certificate, passage of the practical test for this new rating would also serve to reinstate your other flight instructor privileges.
(emphasis added)

Thanks, Mr. Bug. Someone was trying very strenuously to convince me that if I did as you just wrote that I would also have to take reinstatement practicals for my airplane CFI ratings. I thought that might have been one of the changes since I've been out of the game.

CFI renewal

I had to take a renewal ride in the late 80's after I let my CFI expire. The DE told me I could only renew my CFI and CFII since I was taking the ride in a 172. He said I couldn't renew the MEI unless I did the ride in a twin. After the ride, he referenced the old certificates to fill out the temporary. He wrote me down for an MEI as well as CFI and CFII and, as I was looking over his shoulder, I didn't say anything. I've always felt a bit guilty about that but I don't think I've given an hour of multi instruction in my life...so no big deal. Was the DE wrong to have renewed my MEI if I only did the ride in a 172?

The regulations have been reworded since then, but no...you can take a practical test in anything you're rated for as an instructor. If you hold single and multi engine airplane, and also helicopter, you may take the practical test in a helicopter and it will still cover both the airplane ratings.

Or you may take a practical test for an entirely new rating (glider, for example), and accomplish the same thing.

Note that this isn't renewal, but reinstatement. Once it's expired, it needs to be reinstated.

I let mine expire this year for the second time. Doh.

Latest resources

Back