Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jurasicpilot

Term of service agreement or Training agreements

My son ended up signing one. Its been a year and he can't support a family there. I'm not a fire starter and dont want to go into the company name or details. However, what he was told he would make and what he is bringing home is two different figures.

Has anyone challenged one of these agreements before? I dont recall ever seeing them in my time.

I guess it comes down to two things.

1. Did your son get in writing what he was going to make? If he did then they are not holding up there end of the bargin. Or, maybe it is an hourly pay gig and they are not flying as much as they said they would... thats a little different.

2. In many cases the training contract is not enforcable but you might have to lawyer up to get out of it.

I wish him the best of luck in the future. I can not stress enough how important it is to do your research before you show up for your first day on the job. I had to learn the hard way.

Best of Luck,
celloman

Well, after some more research it seems to differ state to state.

Whew, you guys (and gals now) have it rough now days thats for sure. I wouldn't in my worst nightmare pursue the same career path in today's job market. I hear sanitation officers are making 60k. However Pilots are banging out 35k a year and in a sense paying for their own training in the form of a TOS agreement. I'm still having a real hard time with pilots taking tips. However, I'm starting to understand the situation better and better.

I'll be in the same boat come Oct. I've got a far better career type job coming up but will only fulfill exactly half of my 2 years at my current gig.

I have researched as much as I could but could not find too much info. Where did you find that it depends by state? I'm in NY and am pretty certain contracts are legal but hard to enforce. It depends alot on how "important" the contract is to the company. Especially when it comes to non-compete clauses.(which doesn't really apply to flight training).

We talked to an attorney. Basically it wont hold water but you may spend more fighting it than its worth. It all depends on how deep their pockets are.

They will probably file on you in the state to which they are headquartered so you will need to seek legal advice in that state. However to cover your six I would check with base state laws too.

I have dealt with this in the past. It does depend on which state the company is headquartered in. In my case the base (PIT) did not matter. I fought it because they sicked a collections agent on me. Even if you win make them give you a letter releasing you from the contract (for future issues). It cost me about 1500.00 to make them back off. Hire an aviation attorney if they come after you.

Latest resources

Back