Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Moonfly201

Armored Member
I will be headed for Toronto late next week. If the weather is good I will use the lakefront airport right in the City (VFR only), but will need an alternate if the weather is crappy.

Anyone know where I can get Canadian plates cheap & fast? And what would be the best airport to use if I need to go IFR?

Im not sure where to get plates for canada... you might want to try sportys... As for the airport you might want to look into Downsview. It looks a bit closer to Downtown that YYZ

Buttonville CYKZ is available but much further to the NE. Is Downsview a public airport now? No approaches at the Island airport?

Downsview airport is a private field.

City Centre Airport a few years back had an ILS to rwy08 and a few NDB approaches. Not really sure if the ILS is in use anymore.

If you have the cash you can try Pearson (YYZ), otherwise Buttonville (CYKZ) or Oshawa (CYOO) are your alternatives. Oshawa will take you and hour or more to get into the city depending on the time of day you arrive.

City Centre airport is literally five minutes from downtown, and that's just the ferry ride over into the city. Ramp fees weren't too bad (5 years ago), but the hangar fees can get pricey.

Sporty's is probably the fastest way of getting your plates. You can also make a quick stop in the Detroit area and buy them there before crossing the border.

If you need anymore info, just drop me a line.

Sycamore SAm said:
City Centre Airport a few years back had an ILS to rwy08 and a few NDB approaches. Not really sure if the ILS is in use anymore.
With close proximity to the CNN Tower (and other highrises), it will be interesting to learn what minimums are used at City Centre A/P. I always thought this airport was strictly VFR ... the minimums might make that true.

I may as well use Niagra Falls as the alternate, and drive into Canada. The other Canadian Airports are expensive (Pierson), or almost as far out from the city. That will also save me landing for clearing customs on the return.

Actually, most of the approaches are conducted over water. The only approach over the city would be a visual to rwy 15.

When doing the circling approach into rwy 24 or 26, watch out for several of the some stacks about 2 miles out.

The only BIG issue with this airport is that there are a few noise sensitive areas on the islands as well as the city. The neighbours are extremely vocal. Other than that, enjoy the scenery.

Latest resources

Back