Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PlaneJohn

Torn ACL

Anyone have experience with a torn ACL in the knee, and if so how long before you were back in the cockpit after surgery to repair it? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
knee repairs

I've had 2 operations on my right knee. The first surgery I went about 8 weeks mostly due to being in a cast for 6 weeks. I was in no shape to jump into a Lear cockpit at the time. It took about 2 to 3 more weeks before I had enough rehab to really feel comfortable. The second surgery took only about 4 weeks and I felt fine.

Obviously everyone is different. I did not want anyone to rush me into flying for several reasons. Go back when you feel strong enough to not screw something up again (stepping off a door the wrong way).

Best of luck and keep up with the rehab.

About three months. Try your best not to be in a hurry, or you could really compromise the surgery. (And then you can do it all over again!)
Best of Luck.

Last edited:
I blew my ACl when I was freshman in college, the most important thing to do is the rehab before surgery. Keep that leg strong and your rehab will be alot easier. Sit around and let the muscle atrophy and your rehab will be alot harder and longer. I was curling (the winter sport) in 3 months after surgery. The doctor actually used me as a case study, but the key was to keep the leg strong before you go to surgery. Good luck and listen to your docs and therapists.

I was curling (the winter sport) in 3 months after surgery.

SSSWWWEEEPPP!!!!!! A very few understand

The big question is does your company have short term disability insurance. Here in NY, the state pays you a wopping $170.00/week, (161.38 after taxes). Short term disability takes care of the rest.

Hey guys,
All great info here, I'm due to have my surgery in August. Looks like they will have to repair/ remove my meniscus as well which changes everything. I've heard anywhere from 3 weeks to 3 months from many who have been there. As for short term disability, I am still waiting on my boss to tell me if he is going to put me on it. The company I work for has treated us very well in the past when we were without a plane for 3 months and kept us on full salary, so I am hoping this will be the case this time around. Thanks again for all your experiences.

Latest resources

Back