Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Top execs at Delta given stock shares: Rank and file, however, got buyout offers"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
There are no plans to furlough. We still have jets coming that need to be staffed.

Hey ACL I appreciate all your insights but have a question. A few weeks ago you said "I'd be suprised if we don't furlough." Now you say there are no plans to furlough. What has changed?

Thanks

Hey ACL I appreciate all your insights but have a question. A few weeks ago you said "I'd be suprised if we don't furlough." Now you say there are no plans to furlough. What has changed?

Thanks

The staffing requirements for summer 2010. Jets coming that are not officially announced.

I think most airlines and people are going to be blow away. It looks good on paper.
It was stated that the first two to three years would be difficult as we grew and shrank as we merged, after that we would be unstoppable.

Well, hopefully they realize that if they DO furlough, that perception, especially in the eyes of potential investors (as well as the public), would be blown.

They need to prove they are separating from the pack (other airlines AND the scums on Wall St) and no longer using pilots as ATMs (and sacrificial lambs to furlough) as they collect on their stock options.

THEN they very well may be unstoppable.

True and that is sad.

I am not saying that we will not furlough, all I am saying is that there are no plans now to do so, add to that the 2010 projections that are just now coming in to focus and it makes it harder and harder to justify.
Now if there are a few stupid moves made by unnamed parties in the next six months, all bets are off.

Buying out senior pilots is an extremely expensive proposition, much more so than buying out flight attendants or or gate agents. First, the cost to get someone to give up widebody captain pay is huge of course. Then there is the follow-on cost of the training waterfall to replace wide-body captains, and all the other positions that have to be back filled.

Buyouts would only be affordable if they were planning on parking the seats abandoned by the guys taking the buyout.

Buying out senior pilots is an extremely expensive proposition, much more so than buying out flight attendants or or gate agents. First, the cost to get someone to give up widebody captain pay is huge of course. Then there is the follow-on cost of the training waterfall to replace wide-body captains, and all the other positions that have to be back filled.

Buyouts would only be affordable if they were planning on parking the seats abandoned by the guys taking the buyout.

There is a training waterfall there ANYWAY, and it is all done in house, sooooo....rather than paying the unexpected 5 extended years of higher salary, take care of it now while everyone is training anyway.
Also get rid of anyone who isn't properly "representing" the interests of your pilot group and using your dues to represent RA.

Well, hopefully they realize that if they DO furlough, that perception, especially in the eyes of potential investors (as well as the public), would be blown.
Investors don't care about whether Delta furloughs or not. Investors care about whether Delta has the right cost structure going forward and can produce a profit/be cash flow positive. If Delta has pilots are not being fully utilized and a furlough/displacement bid can provide Delta savings within a certain time period, investors would say do it.

Latest resources

Back