Took my first lesson

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hello FI,

I just took my first lesson a few days ago. I am working on a video blog and would appreciate any input.

http://datatoys.blogspot.com/

Can anyone reccomend a good text to read?

Cheers,
Roy

wow, in the first minute of that video (maybe 10 inflight, actual tt) I picked out 4 mistakes teaching wise from that instructor.

for example: on takeoff the student takes hands off throttle, no correction from instructor, not a real big thing but the next is: on the first turn the instructor already is telling the student to look inside the cockpit and ref. instruments (HI) for a 180 deg. turn. This guy doesn't even have an hour of flight time and the instructor has him (the student) heads down and not flying outside cockpit.

Where do they find these instructors these days?

No wonder Mr. 1000hr. RJ Ace can't fly a simple visual approach.

Last edited:
Hello FI,

I just took my first lesson a few days ago. I am working on a video blog and would appreciate any input.

http://datatoys.blogspot.com/

Can anyone reccomend a good text to read?

Cheers,
Roy

Congrats on the first lesson! That's awesome!

As far as texts to read, I would say anything and everything that you can get your hands on. Try to focus on the basic stuff at first. However, aviation is such a multi-disciplinary and complex field that nobody really knows "everything" there is to know about it (and don't let anyone tell you otherwise--especially not those jive turkeys on the regionals forum). And the true mark of a good pilot is one that is always trying to improve skills and gain knowledge. In other words, it all goes SO much deeper than the private pilot texts... and airline ground schools for that matter. To be a well-rounded pilot is really a challenge of a lifetime.

Funny how I thought I knew so much more when I only had my first thousand hours. :) Now I'm close to my third thousand, and I feel like I know next to nothing.

Best of luck, and feel free to PM me with any questions. Flight instructing was something that I really enjoyed.

-Goose

Last edited:
Suggestions (haven't viewed yer blog)
1. Get Flight Sim X and practice checklist drills. You'll save a huge chunk of hobbs time if you practice the mundane on a sim.
2. Ride with other students if their CFI allows it. Watching from the back is free, legal, and you'll learn a ton. Keep the criticism to yourself, unless it is asked for.

3. Do a fun, scenic flight about every ten hours. Especially after pounding out endless touch 'n goes at that infamous learning plateau around 12 hours.

4. Help the A&P for free. Bring donuts.

5. Memorize every stupid cliche from Airplane and Topgun. But do NOT buy a fake fighter jock jacket
with jet patches on it. Please!

6. Expect mercilous but mostly good-humoured ribbing on this and other forums.

Good luck and always have a plan B when you are at the controls.

Latest resources

Back