• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Too much emphasis on college

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's an interesting read (I also downloaded it on CD to listen to) and it talks about certain occupations (namely lawyers and doctors) that feel they need to show an outwardly image of success to be accepted by their peers and the public. (ie big houses, multiple cars, nice clothes, etc.)

Also, many of these occupations require years of schooling, and leave the individual with a huge amount of debt once they enter the work place.

For me it blew away the image of what a "rich" person looks like and how they live. Years of watching, "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" and "MTV Cribs" were basically Hollywood at its finest.

The grass isn't always greener on the other side when you see people in big homes and fancy cars.

The whole "doctor/lawyer' thing is always ginned up when talking about other careers besides flying that people tend to over glorify and think that they are all rich. Reality is my wife is a Commercial Real Estate Attorney who lost her job along with the rest of us last year. She now teaches at a University making a very low salary that used to be comparable to her bonuses alone in a single year! Until this tyrant is out of office, her career is on hold if not over with and she doesn't want to start over practicing another specialty. It ain't easy being a dr/lawyer either!

splitting hairs people. "College" = 4 year degree. 2 year degree (no matter if the school itself hangs the letters "college" on the front gate) = vocational type training, ie: specific skill set

I have a 2 year degree and there's nothing specific about it. It's an Associate Degree in General Studies. Essentially it's a glorified high school diploma. Frankly, I didn't learn jack while getting it. American history 101, algebra 101, etc. All it does it let me check a box on an employment app. It contributed zero to my ability to do my job. I already knew how to read, write, add, subtract, multiply and divide. All the science I need to know to fly airplanes I learned in grade school.

Most undergrad degrees don't provide any worthwhile job skills. This is the case in aviation. If you majored in some BS like communications you essentially wasted your time and money as far as making you a better pilot. It will, however, qualify you to fly for DAL or FedEx.

I've been a professional pilot for almost 15 years. I'm typed in transport category a/c. I have thousands of hours of turbine time and TPIC. I've spent the last decade working in the 121 airline world. I've ran an aviation business. All that being said, I'm not even eligible to apply at most major airlines because I don't have a 4 year degree. OTOH, a newly minted 22 year old Riddle grad with a brand new ATP is. Yeah, that makes sense.....

BTW, I'm not looking for work. I already work for a major and I'm happy where I'm at. I'm just pointing out the absurdity of requiring a 4 year degree to fly airplanes. All it really does is cull the herd of applicants to a more manageable number.

well said

I have a 2 year degree and there's nothing specific about it. It's an Associate Degree in General Studies. Essentially it's a glorified high school diploma. Frankly, I didn't learn jack while getting it. American history 101, algebra 101, etc. All it does it let me check a box on an employment app. It contributed zero to my ability to do my job. I already knew how to read, write, add, subtract, multiply and divide. All the science I need to know to fly airplanes I learned in grade school.

Most undergrad degrees don't provide any worthwhile job skills. This is the case in aviation. If you majored in some BS like communications you essentially wasted your time and money as far as making you a better pilot. It will, however, qualify you to fly for DAL or FedEx.

I've been a professional pilot for almost 15 years. I'm typed in transport category a/c. I have thousands of hours of turbine time and TPIC. I've spent the last decade working in the 121 airline world. I've ran an aviation business. All that being said, I'm not even eligible to apply at most major airlines because I don't have a 4 year degree. OTOH, a newly minted 22 year old Riddle grad with a brand new ATP is. Yeah, that makes sense.....

BTW, I'm not looking for work. I already work for a major and I'm happy where I'm at. I'm just pointing out the absurdity of requiring a 4 year degree to fly airplanes. All it really does is cull the herd of applicants to a more manageable number.
exactly a nice dose of reality

Yes I agree. I never have disagreed that many university degrees are worthless pieces of paper.

Thats why I recommend that the best formula for gainful employment is something similar to

FORMAL EDUCATION + DESIRED SKILLS IN MARKETPLACE + NETWORKING/GET YOUR NAME OUT THERE

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back