• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Too much emphasis on college

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
That is entirely possible. If an employer wants you to have a 4-year degree then you better have a 4-year degree. I have seen more than one pilot job listing asking applicants to have a 4-year degree. Those who follow the YIP plan need not apply.
couldn't agree more, but it is a piece of paper that checks a box and may not add to the knowledge base of the educated.

couldn't agree more, but it is a piece of paper that checks a box and may not add to the knowledge base of the educated.

True. With that said, (and you know my real-world opinion on the degree, see my post), if you could afford it, and/or your childs college education would be funded somehow, WOULD you encourage him to attend and obtain a 4-year Bachelor's degree? For Aviation careers (ie Pilot) or anything else for that matter?

Military route

True. With that said, (and you know my real-world opinion on the degree, see my post), if you could afford it, and/or your childs college education would be funded somehow, WOULD you encourage him to attend and obtain a 4-year Bachelor's degree? For Aviation careers (ie Pilot) or anything else for that matter?
No, I encouraged going straight into the military, however all that being said, a person has to be determined in what skills they want to develop in order to earn a living. That is not what going to college is for many people. I have seen too many people succeed without a "4 YEAR" college degree, and I have seen too many people, mostly nieces and nephews, with 4-yr degrees, with marketable skills.

No, I encouraged going straight into the military, however all that being said, a person has to be determined in what skills they want to develop in order to earn a living. That is not what going to college is for many people. I have seen too many people succeed without a "4 YEAR" college degree, and I have seen too many people, mostly nieces and nephews, with 4-yr degrees, with marketable skills.

I understand. When I read reports of XXX college grads can't find work (and yes, this economy is tough, but....) , I wonder if American teachers and parents (heavy on the parents) need to spend more energy at vocational/career counseling and prep for their kids. More "what jobs will exist in 5 years" type stuff.

Too many kids graduating with "Business Administration" degrees or "Political Science", etc but no real direction.

At age 18, you're asking a lot of a person to decide what they want to do with themselves when it comes to a career choice. Go to college fore 4-years and take all of the GE requirements, and by year 2 of college you may have a better idea of what you want to get a degree in.

As much as you hate it Yip, if you have aspirations to work for any number of Major/Legacy carriers, it's off to college you go.

didnt read all the other responses.

college is about MORE than attaining employment. It is much much more. It is an education! ...both cultrually and academically.

Education is requsite to employment. Most jobs have OJT which often has little to do with formal learning. however, formal learning does assist in making one more diverse and varied, with an ability to draw fro ma broader well of knowledge.

pilotyip, why'd you even bother to go to college or even get your Masters.

Coolege so what

didnt read all the other responses.

college is about MORE than attaining employment. It is much much more. It is an education! ...both cultrually and academically.

Education is requsite to employment. Most jobs have OJT which often has little to do with formal learning. however, formal learning does assist in making one more diverse and varied, with an ability to draw fro ma broader well of knowledge.

pilotyip, why'd you even bother to go to college or even get your Masters.
Another elitist attitude I see, "If you did not go to college, you are not as good as me" "No one can be a real person without a college education" and "One should never be judged by the content of their character, success in life, success in raising children who lead productive lives". People should only be judged on the possession of a piece of paper. Is that what you mean? I beat you work in a HR department? BTW My master's helped me through unemployment I got $400 a month over cost of school on the GI Bill. Good deal, plus I like learning and probably helped me get promoted, promotion boards like paper also. BTW2 My brother-in law, owns a Muffler Shop, (non-college graduate) lives in a neighborhood with Doctors, Lawyers. In addition, other professionals because he makes over $200K per year. Sends his kids to private schools, lots of vacations, etc. If you want to make money go to a trade school out of high school and run a muffler shop. Better fine out where he lives, he might even be in your neighborhood, just think of what he might do to the housing values.

Last edited:
good book

Yea I have heard of the book, maybe the Book Channel. From what I remember this was 5-6 years ago, many of them do not have colleges, but they are smart in many ways beyond a college education. They know how to do something people need, they live below their means and have been married to the same person. So I agree with with how you get there. Might make a good read, give more info to prove college is not the only road to success, however one measures success,

Latest resources

Back