Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Too many "private pilots" when it comes to Air Line Pilots Careers!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Where do I get a copy? I asked my reps, but they're kinda busy right now, so it got understandably swept under the rug.

I would love to read this book. Please let me know how I can get it.

Call your local MEC office and I am sure they can get one out to ya. You could also try calling the ALPA national office in Herndon and see if they'll send you one. I get them sent out to my guys whenever anyone asks. Bug your reps more, no rep should be to busy to keep the membership educated and up to speed with current issues.

Unfortunately, the initial responses to Rezs' post demonstrate exactly why airline pilots are where they are today.

As for why a copy isn't put in each new pilot's hand the first day he steps on the property, I don't have an answer for that one.

I agree completely.

FTL Vol 1 & 2 should be handed out with the pizza during ALPA day at every airline. Hard Landing should be closely behind...

I agree completely.

FTL Vol 1 & 2 should be handed out with the pizza during ALPA day at every airline. Hard Landing should be closely behind...

How about a Resolution at your next LEC meeting directing your LEC leadership to do so.....

I don't know the answer to Rez's challenge, but I do know this:

As long as the benefits of a strong union accrue equally to the following:

1. "I pay my dues -- that's doing my part" types;
2. Non-union pilots piggybacking on the gains of a largely unionized industry;
3. The hard-working, involved, aware union volunteers and leaders;

there is little incentive for 1. and 2. to do more.

Somehow, the 1.'s and 2.'s need to be motivated to become 3.'s. Being a 3. could be as simple as knowing your friggin' contract, signing a card to bring a union on the property, using your greivance process when the company dicks with your contract, etc.

But why should the 1.'s and 2.'s stick their necks out a little bit? There's always a few 3.'s around to do the heavy lifting.

How about a Resolution at your next LEC meeting directing your LEC leadership to do so.....

An excellent idea, Rez. Unfortunately for me there are two problems with that: I am still on probation for a couple more months, and I'm moving from one domicile to another so it's going to take a little while to get the actual Local I am in straightened out. As you've said, everyone is a volunteer and does what they can when they can.

Still won't stop me from sending an email about it though...

"While complacent pilots golfed or pursued second careers, a minority ran ALPA’s local affairs on each airline"

Yeah right, not today, change this to read:

While dues paying pilots work more hours for less and watch their flying get contracted away, our self serving leadership (even at the local levels these days) golfs, votes pay raises for national positions and has BOD meetings and such in cities like LAS and MIA.

Latest resources

Back