Too many CFI jobs a negative?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

chitownflyer

A friend of mine is considering leaving his current CFI job at the end of summer to move back home and flight instruct there if he does have any leads from airlines/charter by then (due to financial reasons). The thing is, his current CFI job is his third (second after college graduation). Do airlines look negatively at someone who has had multiple CFI positions like this? He was never fired from any CFI job, he quit the first post-graduation job due to sketchy conditions at that flight school. This current one is going very well too, but the pay is VERY lean (impossible to make ends meet if living on your own), thus the reason why he wants to move back home if that comes to be the case.

I hope not because I am in the same boat. I am currently working at my 4th flight school. Been through low pay, apartment leases running out, no students, and even a bankruptcy closure. Finally seem to have solid instructing job. Plenty of students and good pay ($22.00/hr). But if you look at the rest of my work history, I have been with the same construction company on a full time and part time basis for about 10 years.

Since CFI work is notoriously inconsistent it shouldn't be a problem as long as there is no history of firings or violations.

Latest resources

Back