• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tomorrow's the day! Go Scaled!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It supposedly cost Scaled Composits $20-30 mil to complete this project. When they do the 2 flights, they will make back $10 mil straight up. But, in the end they will make out like bandits b/c they will turn around and sell rides for several grand a pop. How many people do you have to take up at $100k a pop to make back $20 mil?

Jedi_Cheese said:
It supposedly cost Scaled Composits $20-30 mil to complete this project. When they do the 2 flights, they will make back $10 mil straight up. But, in the end they will make out like bandits b/c they will turn around and sell rides for several grand a pop. How many people do you have to take up at $100k a pop to make back $20 mil?

...im so stupid...

Jedi_Cheese said:
How many people do you have to take up at $100k a pop to make back $20 mil?
N = $20,000,000 / ( $100,000 - ( OP COST / 2 ) )

[ or N = 2 * $20,000,000 / ($200,000 - OP COST) ]

where N is the number of passengers that can fly, 2 per flight, and
OP COST is the Operational Cost of conducting the flight.

If the OP COST is 0 (zero), i.e., the flight is free, the number of passengers required is 200 (100 flights). I'm guessing the cost per flight is more like in the millions range, which would mean they'd NEVER turn a profit.

>anyone know how they verify the altitude?
radar. NASA keeps track of millions of objects in orbit, down to stuff as small as an inch or two across. they keep tabs on every bit of space junk they can to keep the shuttle from getting clobbered by a piece of gear from the Apollo days. remember the glove that floated out during Ed White's spacewalk? (mercury, in that case) even so, imagine what a chip of paint could do to the shuttle if they were traveling in different directions, each traveling at 17,500 mph...

A streaming webcast is available on www.space.com. They're going to have streaming video from the cockpit as they get closer to seperation.

EagleRJ said:
A streaming webcast is available on www.space.com. They're going to have streaming video from the cockpit as they get closer to seperation.

Thanks for the link. He's home safe - - awaiting the official word on the altitude.

Looked like a smooth flight overall, and Mike reached 330,000'. He started rolling pretty good when he was climbing under power, though. It looked like about 720 degrees/sec for a few turns, and then he got it settled down again. I wonder what caused that?

I bet SS1 is now missing several square inches of seat cushion material!

Good flight, Mike! Well done!

Latest resources

Back