Today was not a good day for students at BFI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MGXsport

I work at the pilot supply store on the field and all day we listen to tower and approach.

Today was an execptionally bad day for some students.

1. Told to hold short. Quickly adds throttle and goes across the active 13L with landing traffic over the numbers. Time to call the tower.

2. Same as above. Controllers responce, "Do you have an instructor with you?" Student, "No" Controller, "Well have him tell you the phone number for my office when you park" Ouch.

3. Now with a very aggrivated controller and the two people that can't follow a simple hold short instructions. A departure decides to wonder into the approach path of SEA Bravo and then cuts off a departure out of RNT. Harsh words were sent to him.

What are some of your obvious mistakes you have seen/heard while around the airport?

almost had my lunch eaten by a skipper today. I was about 2 mile final for the left and he was turning base to final for the right, overshot it by a long way and ended up right in front of me...

like whoa :p

I have seen many errors, but students missing hold short instructions I consider as major mistakes. I think what you saw is more of a reflection of the instructors than anything else. Hold short instructions are major important instructions, and the CFI's that are letting these students fly solo really need to make sure without question that students understand these simple and extremely important instructions.... In my opinion, it was a bad day for the instructors, because that is whom the tower is going to have the most words with....

Last edited:
Well, there's three that come to mind quick;

1. I was flying the pattern doing T&G's on RWY 28 at Schenectady, when a student checks in requesting to enter the pattern for touch & go's. He is assigned RWY 28, but fails to identify the proper runway. We finally spot him lined up with RWY 22. Our paths must have come close when he called downwind for "28".

2. A Rutan LongEZ departs RWY 28 at Schenectady as we are on final for same runway. Does a 180 to enter the left downward, with intentions to depart the pattern to the southeast. The aircraft does not compensate for wind drift and crosses our path in front of us. As he realizes his mistake, he does a quick right turn. That one was close.

3. We are on a two mile final for RWY 28 at Schenectady, when a commuter airline crosses in front of us, at our altitude, heading for Albany.
Commuter pilot stated to controller that he was 1000 feet higher than what we have him at. We are at pattern height at this point.

TrafficInSight said:
I was about 2 mile final for the left and he was turning base to final for the right, overshot it by a long way and ended up right in front of me...

like whoa :p

I had an AA 757 do the same thing to me coming into DFW the other day! :)

That goes to show that no matter what or where you are flying, you need to pay attention and keep your eyes open, especially when near the airport.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back