• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

To those of you considering this profession

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
After carefully reading the link that started this thread, I'm even more convinced that my son will be better served in the long run by staying on the military side of aviation. Kinda makes the $4.5 million in training him all the more worthwhile as far as my tax dollars go.

He may not have the option

After carefully reading the link that started this thread, I'm even more convinced that my son will be better served in the long run by staying on the military side of aviation. Kinda makes the $4.5 million in training him all the more worthwhile as far as my tax dollars go.
Have him talk to the vets, of Korea, Vietnam, Gulf I, when the military collects its peace dividend. Get rid of airplanes, get rid of pilots.

yes but when the hiring boom of 2018 makes him think of "Catch me if you can", the grass always looks a little greener on the outside, seen too many guys do it,

Hiring boom of 2018? Now it's 2018? I thought it was 2008, then it was 2011, then 2012, now 2018? Truth is, nobody knows when this "boom" is going to happen and any suggestion for a speculative time frame is foolish hope.

Boom!! 2012!!

It is the hiring boom of 2012, we just lost another pilot to another better job, and it is starting and will only accelerate as we approach December of 2012 peaking around May 23, 2013. However there will be hiring slump in the 2015-16 era that is followed by the next hiring boom. BTW don't forget I projected in Sept 2004 that we would see a hiring boom in June of 2007. There are patterns to this just like the stock market. Having been looking for jobs in this business for nearly 35 years, you pick up trends.

Last edited:
So now it's 2012 again. Make up your mind. I agree there are trends but I think the missing piece of information is that it's SPECULATION. If you're so sure, wire me $100,000 and when that boom hits in 2018, I'll give it back to ya. Still care to speculate?

of course

So now it's 2012 again. Make up your mind. I agree there are trends but I think the missing piece of information is that it's SPECULATION. If you're so sure, wire me $100,000 and when that boom hits in 2018, I'll give it back to ya. Still care to speculate?
Not for a $100K too much a risk, I not would risk that much in the stock market on a sure bet. It would be like buying gold. You could be 90% right, not able to accept the 10% downside, 2018 is too far out but if you are gentleman you will enter into a bet with me about 2012. Here is the offer is hiring in 2012 is not 3 times what is today, I will self ban myself from this site for 60 days. If I am right you ban your self for 60 days. How sure are you I am wrong?

My point is speculation is dangerous for someone who is planning their training-to-career expectations. There may be a very, very large gap between graduation and your first hire. What do you do while you're waiting for that ship to come in? That's the point I'm trying to make here.

Let's say I plan myself to get all my certificates, take out money (savings or loan), work hard and get all my certificates and ratings. It's 2012. The hiring landscape is drier than the Sahara. Now what? Didn't pilotyip say 2012 is it? What do I do now? I'm out of money. I have bills to pay. The lender wants their money. I'm jobless. What do I do with myself now? How did this go so terribly wrong? How could pilotyip be wrong with his 2012 pilot hiring boom statement? I planned my life on it!

Not that it really makes a difference with a whopping $18,000 a year job, industry wide and well known instability, zero job security, and the potential to be a career FO going nowhere fast. ;) I'm hearing more and more stories of people getting out of this career than getting in.

Latest resources

Back