• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

To the Avantair guys/gals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Wow maniac...did you really come up with that ALL by yourself?

I mean seriously...this is a FORUM, where one should (barring personal attacks or racist views obviously) feel free to express his or her thoughts. Having had more FO's than should be the case say to me after a fairly short time frame "um....do they really expect this to go this way?" I thought it relevant to point out to those expecting a more structured, disciplined set up ala 121 or NJA or SC that they can expect something less regarding procedure. My apologies if it offends your sensibilities, but having been here longer than 90% of those posting from this company, my take on it is just that....MY take, based on what I'VE dealt with. As far as in-house posting goes, never done it, never will. If you honestly think that keeping it "within the unit" as it were actually gets mgmts attention with respect to issues we've been dealing with, in some cases, for YEARS now, then make yourself feel better and have it.

Not sure what I "came up with, ALL by myself", probably my "Sh*t on you plate comment",I guess. My feelings in any business is that airing dirty laundry about your meal-ticket in public is a no-win situation. You're right, this is a public forum, but too often it becomes a rant page.
Secondly, I feel that the idea of "in-house posting:never done it-never will" lacks commitment to your livelihood. Participation in our company's growth, and operational policies, can only keep improving ops, and the benefits to us that go along with it.
I'm sorry to hear that you've experienced situations that you didn't want to deal with, or "pressure" about performance issues, but I have to say that in my 2-ish yrs as PIC here, that has never been the case when I worked all performance #'s out precisely.
So, sorry if I offended you personally, I don't mean to attack, or flame at people here, but I will stand by the idea that there is a better place to air "in-house" issues.
And, it's mainiac (you know, like the State)

If you knew who I was, you wouldn't question my "commitment" or my willingness to "deal with things." I've done plenty "in house" and its safe to say that some of the very procedures and changes you and others enjoy were because of the few, like me, who weren't content with the way things were done. And I'll be the 1st to say that improvements have been made, positive ones, and that's good for everyone concerned.
But I would submit to you that public influence in forums like this has had as much impact as the very focused efforts of some who know what performance really means as a measure of safety. There's a reason why those in the office who used to spend notable amounts of time posing as pilots on this forum came up with the idea of an "in house" forum, that being to keep the impact of pilots who know things could/should be done better out of view and thus, some might argue, minimized.
Open debate is nothing to fear, and as I've stated before anyone who elects to work here should know what the realities of "two out of three" means. Potential new hires don't have the option of the "in house" forum, and pretending that issues regarding this have not and do not still arise does a disservice to them and the group as a whole.
Thats my opinion, and until things change, I will continue to voice it in all venues--as is my right.

I was a Captain at Avantair and I left for another Fractional. We fly heavier jets that require all the performance numbers that the part 23 Piaggio does not. That being said, I DO NOT FEEL ANY MORE COMFORTABLE TAKING OFF IN AN AIRPLANE HERE THAN I DID AT AVANTAIR.

Performance numbers, weather and situation analysis are all the jobs of the crew. Lets face it, a monkey could fly an airplane. But only an experienced pilot can make good judgment calls. Have a backbone, and stand up to management if you genuinely feel that a situation is unsafe. Its all up to you! Yes, sometimes management/dispatch can ask you to do some pretty crazy stuff. But, often times they don't know any better. They don't have the perspective of being down in the trenches doing the dirty work that we the crews are. No one will ever intentionally try to endanger you, the passengers or the airplane.

If you as a pilot feel that the 2 out of 3 rule is unsafe, then don't do it. Get another job! Its really simple. Complaining on FI does no good.

Avantair was one of the best flying jobs I ever had. I will forever miss the Piaggio and the excelent pilot group. There are higher paying jobs out there. Lets face it, Avantair sells shares of 6 million dollar airplanes while other fractionals sell shares of 20+ million dollar airplanes. There is alot more money at other jobs, but to some, money isnt everything. I happen to be a bit greedy....

To any potential Avantair new hires: Avantair is a great place to work. Every employer has room for improvement, but overall the working environment is great. No one will ever force you to do anything remotely unsafe. The decision of being safe or unsafe is purely yours... Have fun, its why we do this, right?

One more thing, haven't you all ever heard of the old saying "never hang out your dirty laundry"?

Safe

I was a Captain at Avantair and I left for another Fractional. We fly heavier jets that require all the performance numbers that the part 23 Piaggio does not. That being said, I DO NOT FEEL ANY MORE COMFORTABLE TAKING OFF IN AN AIRPLANE HERE THAN I DID AT AVANTAIR.

Performance numbers, weather and situation analysis are all the jobs of the crew. Lets face it, a monkey could fly an airplane. But only an experienced pilot can make good judgment calls. Have a backbone, and stand up to management if you genuinely feel that a situation is unsafe. Its all up to you! Yes, sometimes management/dispatch can ask you to do some pretty crazy stuff. But, often times they don't know any better. They don't have the perspective of being down in the trenches doing the dirty work that we the crews are. No one will ever intentionally try to endanger you, the passengers or the airplane.

If you as a pilot feel that the 2 out of 3 rule is unsafe, then don't do it. Get another job! Its really simple. Complaining on FI does no good.

Avantair was one of the best flying jobs I ever had. I will forever miss the Piaggio and the excelent pilot group. There are higher paying jobs out there. Lets face it, Avantair sells shares of 6 million dollar airplanes while other fractionals sell shares of 20+ million dollar airplanes. There is alot more money at other jobs, but to some, money isnt everything. I happen to be a bit greedy....

To any potential Avantair new hires: Avantair is a great place to work. Every employer has room for improvement, but overall the working environment is great. No one will ever force you to do anything remotely unsafe. The decision of being safe or unsafe is purely yours... Have fun, its why we do this, right?

One more thing, haven't you all ever heard of the old saying "never hang out your dirty laundry"?

Well said, in short this job like all flying jobs that I have ever worked is as SAFE as you want to make it!!

I wish I could get a call from elizabeth... I figured I would with 2750 TT 800 ME 2580 PIC 140 JET and an ATP LR-JET but still waiting... do I need a referral to get contacted?

I know it's been asked before so I'll post what I think is the most current info. Some gateways may have changed but this was current within a few months.

Atlanta, GA (ATL) Albany, NY- (ALB) Baltimore, MD (BWI)
Boston, Ma (BOS) Burbank, CA – (BUR) Charlotte, NC (CLT)
Chicago, IL (ORD) Chicago, IL – (MDW) Cleveland, OH (CLE)
Columbus, OH (CMH) Dallas-Fort Worth, TX (DFW) Denver, CO (DEN)
Durham, NC – (RDU) Houston, TX (IAH) Indianapolis, IN – (IND)
Kansas City, MO – (MCI) Las Vegas, NV (LAS) Little Rock, AR – (LIT)
Los Angeles, CA (LAX) Louisville, KY – (SDF) Memphis, TN – (MEM)
Nashville, TN – (BNA) New Orleans, LA – (MSY) New York, NY (JFK) (LGA)
Newark, NJ (EWR) Omaha, NE – (OMA) Orlando, FL (MCO)
Philadelphia, PA – (PHL) Phoenix, AZ (PHX) Pittsburgh, PA – (PIT)
Portland, OR – (PDX) Rochester, NY – (ROC) Salt Lake City, UT – (SLC)
San Diego, CA – (SAN) San Francisco, CA (SFO) Seattle, WA – (SEA)
St Louis, MO (STL) Tampa, FL (TPA) Tucson, AZ – (TUS)
West Palm Beach, FL (PBI)

If one is hired, is it for a specific "gateway", or can you live in any of these? Thanks.

Utah,

They open and close gateways depending on where we need pilots at the time - I guess they're looking for more pilots in the midwest and western states right now. New pilots are given the choice of open gateways - this discussion starts at the phone interview so it's not something you bid on after you start here. You'll confirm your gateway when the offer is made. Gateways are usually closed when we have too many pilots in that area (such as St. Pete, FL) or if airline prices and/or availability is lacking. If you are awarded a gateway and it closes, that just means that no one else will be hired into that gateway - you will not be required to change gateeways. So, yes, you are hired into a specific gateway.

Last edited:
I wish I could get a call from elizabeth... I figured I would with 2750 TT 800 ME 2580 PIC 140 JET and an ATP LR-JET but still waiting... do I need a referral to get contacted?

I don't want to come of as belittling, but you're times are very low. Avantair, as all the other fractionals out there, have THOUSANDS of resumes on file.

I'm not saying you won't get a call, Avantair hires from a spectrum...but nobody without a referral is getting contacted right now.

For perspective, I was hired over two years ago with twice your hours, just under 4,000 Jet, over 1,000 hours jet PIC and I was the low time guy in my hire class. Again, that was over two YEARS ago! I suggest you re-evaluate the state of the industry.

Latest resources

Back