Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pilotguy5

Hello All,
I currently work for a Part 135 VFR operator. I've been there for about 2 years. I fly small singles and twins for the most part. I flight instructed for a year prior to this. I currently have about 2100TT and about 500 multi.
We also have a charter side of the company which operates 3 cheyennes and a King Air. I have the opportunity to get into the Cheyenne (PIC turbine) but I have to give them a 2 year contract. The QOL is pretty good (few overnights). The pay is kinda low, only around $40,000 - $45,000 a year and raises are few and far between. I would like to eventually fly for a major (Hopefully Continental mainline).
I'm not sure if the right move is to go to a regional, (I would like to go to Expressjet if I do) or stay where I'm at and build PIC turbine right away?
If I went to a regional I know I would take a pay cut at first and I would most likely move to my base to avoid commuting.
Thinking ahead, what would a major like more? Part 135 PIC turbine in a Cheyenne, or Part 121 time as SIC turbine.
Any comments are welcome, I've been debating back and forth what is best and I just need some other opinions.

Thanks,
Ken

Look at the minimum requirements for most majors. Most want part 121 PIC, plus whatever TT. So you probably need to get to a Regional and do your time to upgrade to get your Part 121 PIC. Thats most majors, not all.....

Do you have any family to worry about?

I would probably try and get on with ExpressJet. They seem to be hiring alot of our pilots nowadays. You'll make $40,000 by your second year by picking up some extra flying and some overage on your trips. I flew charter, it's a pain in the a$$.

The regional world is brutal and very poorly paid. I often think that the better jobs are out in the 91/135 world these days (of course, what do I know?). But a two year contract is absolutely out of the question. You obviously have good employable skills. Find some place that will treat you better, or at least negotiate yourself a better deal.

Hello All,
I currently work for a Part 135 VFR operator. I've been there for about 2 years. I fly small singles and twins for the most part. I flight instructed for a year prior to this. I currently have about 2100TT and about 500 multi.
We also have a charter side of the company which operates 3 cheyennes and a King Air. I have the opportunity to get into the Cheyenne (PIC turbine) but I have to give them a 2 year contract. The QOL is pretty good (few overnights). The pay is kinda low, only around $40,000 - $45,000 a year and raises are few and far between. I would like to eventually fly for a major (Hopefully Continental mainline).
I'm not sure if the right move is to go to a regional, (I would like to go to Expressjet if I do) or stay where I'm at and build PIC turbine right away?
If I went to a regional I know I would take a pay cut at first and I would most likely move to my base to avoid commuting.
Thinking ahead, what would a major like more? Part 135 PIC turbine in a Cheyenne, or Part 121 time as SIC turbine.
Any comments are welcome, I've been debating back and forth what is best and I just need some other opinions.

Thanks,
Ken

Hey Ken,

If you have any questions about XJT send me a PM and i would be happy to offer any advice or info you have.

What are your long term goals? IF its fly for the majors i would come to XJT if thats the regional of your choice. In my opinion PIC time in a Cheyenne wont get you far with the majors. You would be competing against thousands of pilots with prior 121 time and in much larger aircraft. Upgrade right now is right at 2 years at XJT. That might go up or it might go down in the future. Good luck with your choices and like i said if you have more questions shoot em my way. Take care

Latest resources

Back