To log, or not to log...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Earl Williams

My apologies for yet another question on logging time, yet I was hoping for clarification with regards to complex and HP entries in my book.

I work for a charter company (not as a pilot...I'm still training for my Commercial) and occasionally get to ride along, and get stick time, on Bonanza flights. After these flights, I oftentimes don't have the opportunity to get the pilot riding along with me to sign my book (although they're all CFI's, in addition to being charter pilots for the company).

Since I don't have a complex or HP endorsement in my logbook (yet), I assumed that I personally couldn't log this time as PIC unless these CFI's denoted it as dual, and signed it for me. Yet, I was told by an instructor friend of mine that I COULD indeed log it as PIC (without their signatures) since I wasn't carrying passengers, and am rated in the category and class of airplane.

Since I wouldn't have their signatures, should I play it safe and just not log it, or is my instructor buddy correct in that I CAN log it?

Thanks in advance for your help!
-Earl

Log it. 61.51 says you may log as PIC any time that you were the sole manipulator of the flight controls in an aircraft for which you are rated.

Not endorsed...just rated. In order to ACT as PIC, you must have the endorsement.

You can log it as long as you are empty and not flying under part 135. I fly with my brother on occasion in a Skyvan and I log everything that is not under part 135. As long as he is empty (not carrying any cargo, mail, or passengers) he is flying under part 91 and I can fly and log it.

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Be careful though...the real PIC cannot log the time if you do. Make sure you don't both log the time unless one of you is receiving instruction and both logbooks reflect it.

When in doubt LOG IT!

I use the old saying "Fly what you can, log what you need" when it comes to finding a job.

And always pad your time a little.

Thanks everyone!

Sounds like I can, indeed, log this time...I just need to make sure that both of us aren't logging PIC at the same time (I'll make sure I clarify that with whomever I'm flying with).

As always, thanks for your replies...I appreciate it!

Safe flying!
-Earl

Latest resources

Back