Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

To jump ship or not to jump ship that is the quesiton?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have met many pilots that left one regional job for another, none of them are better off for switching. I'm not saying that would be the case for you, but you would be in a small minority if you find that switching regionals actually improves your life.

I've stuck it out at a crappy regional for many years. I've thought of side stepping many times. However, looking back I can say I am glad I stuck it out. Here are a couple crappy cliches that perfectly apply to regional flying: "The grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence" "It's always darkest before the dawn." "Whatever can go wrong will go wrong."

Your career will be full of setbacks and also lucky breaks. Some things you will be able to control and other things will be beyond your control.

LoveGun said:
I have met many pilots that left one regional job for another, none of them are better off for switching. I'm not saying that would be the case for you, but you would be in a small minority if you find that switching regionals actually improves your life.

depends on who you ask. I am one of many, many FOs at SkyWest that came here from another 121 regional (AWAC for me, but we have many from XJ, Mesa, Lakes, TSA, etc.). I've never talked to anyone who wouldn't say that things got much better when they came here. for me, everything is better.

I think it comes down to where you want to live, if you're married or not, etc. seems like lots of young, single guys can move around without upsetting their life as much as married types with kids.

Good luck with whatever decision you make. I was in your position for a little before I got furloughed. I got on somewhere else and I'm hoping it pays off. No one has a crystal ball for the future and anywhere you go will be a roll of the dice.
If you do decide to go elsewhere, remember it takes a while to get the ball rolling. It takes a little while from when you turn in your resume, get a call back, arrange for an interview, do the interview, get results back and start class. Again good luck and hopefully XJ will pull out its funk.

Furloughed/former XJ'er

yup, I was content to collect unemployment for the summer, but a job came to me... really, completely unsolicited on my part to be a Citation pilot, all because I had to put my resume online to collect unemployment and because I had the CE-500 type already. I don't think my QOL is better than it was at XJ but the pay is much better and it's jet PIC time... even if the thing is slower than some turboprops.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back