• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

to anyone who has owned a small plane

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
$30K seems pretty low but I'm sure could find something.

I'm in a 20 pilot flying club that has an Archer and a Warrior, both IFR capable. Airport closings in Austin haven driven us to AUS, where we recently moved into T-hangers.

Our monthly dues of $80/month cover our fixed costs. Our hourly rates of $39/hour wet for the Warrior, and $43/hour wet for the Archer just barely cover our maintenace expenses and engine overhaul reserve. These prices leave little for upgrades.

The ablility to fly decent airplanes rather than FBO junkers is priceless.

Jim

All great advise above, and tarp seems right on target with realistic cost. I ventured the thought a few years back with a partner of mine and we were going to buy 3 planes... still couldn't figure out a way to break even on a good year...with one plane it would be even harder. Have a student bounce to hard or god forbid worse, and you could have your plane sitting at the mechanics while you keep paying all those fixed cost.

If you are willing to do all this just to have a plane thats one thing, but if you are trying to make a buck proceed with caution.

If you can't afford the plane without instructing than don't do it at all. Boats and planes have one thing in common- they are the easiest things to buy and the hardest to sell.

Latest resources

Back