Forums Chief Pilot
Staff member
Type aircraft owned
Carbon Cub FX-3
Base airport
KFCI
Ratings
COMM, IFR, MEL, SEL
I like to experiment with my Experimental Carbon Cub and as many know I prefer TK 1 shock monster shocks. I saw a post by Bowen Aero on Facebook about a carbon fiber fairing to be used with TK 1 shocks which simply look cool but also will gain you 3-5 mph, which I personally don't care about, we're not getting anywhere quick regardless :) Enjoy the journey!

I ordered from Brian at Bowen Aero, had a few questions which led me to Donnie K. who is the designer of these. Very well done and a great kit received. Yes, like anything aviation it's stupid expensive, the set was around $1400 I believe. You get fairings for multiple areas of the landing gear setup if you want to go all out but I just wanted to cover the shocks for aerodynamics and also keep them clean. One additional benefit, as I use safety ropes is it conceals them and also guides them nicely. It's a cool setup.

Installation isn't hard assuming you know how to take the shocks off which was a first for me. I use an engine lift to lift the nose of the plane and then it was a learning experience dealing with the shocks, installing obviously was harder that removing but I figured out the intricacies. It came with silver screws and white nylon washers but I asked Donnie for the screw size and ordered black for screws and nylon washers to conceal them. Donnie liked the idea and may ship with them in the future, who knows.

Glad to have it done and glad that so far after a few flights I've returned with all the parts I left with :)

Amazon product ASIN B0BPCJRSBB Amazon product ASIN B0B7NNQPHF
tk1-fairings.JPG
tk1-fairing.JPG

Latest resources

Back