Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Lazy8

Registered Parrot Head
Just out of curiousity what kind of tire(ie. AeroTrainer, Condor, Good Year, etc..) do your flight schools equip their training aircraft with?

g

Last edited:
When I was doing the maintenance on the flight school airplanes, we decided to use recaps on the 150/152's and 172's that the primary students were most likely to flat spot. We used Condors on the 172RG's and PA28R's that more expereinced pilots were likely to operate.

The rubber compound on the recaps wore better than some of the cheaper non-capped brands.

erj-145mech said:
The rubber compound on the recaps wore better than some of the cheaper non-capped brands.
...aaahh, yer just sayin' that...got any statistics?
Anyway, how can you have B-17 & 25 time???

nosehair said:

...aaahh, yer just sayin' that...got any statistics?
Anyway, how can you have B-17 & 25 time???

I don't have an statistics, only what works in the field. The recaps lasted almost twice as long as a virgin without the flat spot factor. I'm just reporting what worked in my micro-cosm, if you want a disclaimer, "Your results may vary". My lawyer made me say that. Most of the recaps were on McCreary casings, a few Goodyears, but not many.

I used to work for a museum as a mechanic that had 30 flying airplanes, and I used to own a T-6G for several years. My taildragger training was in a BT-13. I went from flying a C-150 to a 450 hp conventional gear airplane. I sure learned what my right foot is for on a balked landing. The wing flaps on the BT-13 are manual crank up/down, 55 cranks for full deflection, makes for a busy time. My B-25 time is split between three airplanes, two CAF, and one museum owned.

erj-145mech said:
When I was doing the maintenance on the flight school airplanes, we decided to use recaps on the 150/152's and 172's that the primary students were most likely to flat spot. We used Condors on the 172RG's and PA28R's that more expereinced pilots were likely to operate.

That's interesting. I would have thought recaps would be more prone to flat spotting. That's exactly the problem I've been seeing with the AeroTrainer tires where I work (flat spotting). It's been such a pain lately. I'll have to look into the recaps.

g

Latest resources

Back