Tips

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Ned

I've had a folks give me a tip after a flight. Usually a one time intro ride or a photo flight. Is it common for a pilot to get a tip. What about you guys that fly 135, corporate or for a Fractional. Do you get ips or have a company policy?

When I flew tours in Alaska, it wasn't uncommon for a passenger to slip you a twenty after the flight. Usually if you make it known that someone gave you a tip, others feel need to follow suit.

I've also had passengers ask if its appropriate to tip the pilot...anyone have a good witty response to that? I never had a good answer other than "uh, sure". The more at ease and comfortable you make people feel, the better the odds of scoring some change afterwards.

Now I fly corporate/135, and I feel lucky if I get a smile and a "thank you"!

B

Tips are good

I have flown scenic tours for the last 2 summers. I get quite a few tips, My best day was over $130.00 in tips. Most passengers don't tip but if you can get the first person to tip you, you start a domino effect which is great! When someone asks if I accept tips, I usually say something funny like "wow, I can go get another 6 pack now).
Goodluck
p.s. the wealthy don't tip as much as the poor, hmmmm I guess that is why they are rich!

Back in my CFI days, it was rare, but occasionally I did get a tip. Usually it was for something out of the ordinary like a scenic or photo flight. I once got a $50 tip on an "ashes drop".

I always just gratefully accepted them.

I rarely got tipped in charter, but when I did it was big. Gamblers would tip $100 per pilot. Others might slip a ten or twenty, but anything at all was appreciated. One student gave me a one of a kind pen (after he passed his checkride) which was quite nice. Occasionally I'd get merchandise like hats, shirts, etc. (oops, check the date! uhhhhh none of the above is true!)

Latest resources

Back