Tips question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Letter

Actually a letter from RTS arrived today. Mention of working on a contract with you (and the letter was not negative towards pilots or the union, but in fact was complimentary). No mention of tips or adequacy of compensation.

CaptSeth -- never heard that one, but heard similar ones. Keep the humor alive!

NJW - sorry.

Fly safe -- and I'll be flying with one of you next week.

NJAowner,

I'd be interested in reading that letter from RTS. Would you mind posting it on the board?

NJAowner said:
P.S. -- for since we all need a good laugh, the one occupation that for sure doesn't want to "keep the tips" is a mohel. Those who need an explanation, try google or a dictionary.

Fly safe,
A mohel who keeps his "tips" is just trying to get a head!:rolleyes:

Daveman said:
A mohel who keeps his "tips" is just trying to get a head!:rolleyes:

My flying is smooth as catfish skin, even a mohel could work in the back!

Q: What did the Leper say to the hooker?
A: Keep the tip, honey!

Seriously, we are supposed to turn in all tips/gifts. So if Fido leaves you a present on your plane, mail it to Columbus and stamp it "Don't open till Xmas!"

Tips

Remember, there are tips and then there are tips.

Daveman -- never heard that one or one similiar. Good one.
Crawdaddy - that one is reeeeall old. But it reminds me of one of Saturday NIght Live's best skits. In the late 7-'s there was a commercial for the Mercury Marquis and how the ride was so smooth they could cut a diamond in the backseat. SNL had John Belushi dressed as a Hassidic Jewish mohel who did his job just as their version of the Marquis went over a pothole. What a smooth ride. One of the show's best skits. And as usual, Belushi was believable and hilarious.

Fly safe.

Chutzpah!!

This may be the thread NJAOwner needed to prove he's for real and not just some putz!

But as an NJA pilot, I don't like being compared with whores!!!

~ Jacob Cohen

Last edited:
Tipping pilots was the Question of the Issue in the November edition of Aviation International News. Eighty-four responded; most interesting.

But I think the question that needs asked is : "If you serve people at the McDonald's of air transportation, should you expect a tip from the patrons?"

I'll give you the excerpts I think you may be interested in:

We take great pride in our pilots; they are among the most experienced and best trained in the world. As part of the management agreement with our Owners, NetJets agrees to provide pilots for your aircraft. We have been in negotiations with our pilots to amend their current agreement and on August 29 reached a Tentative Agreement (TA) with the Union leadership and the International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT).

The Union membership vote on the Tentative Agreement was counted on October 29 and indicated the company and its pilots have not yet reached an agreement on the amendment of the contract...

Our pilots are the most professional and service oriented aviators in the industry, and we will work hard to reach an agreement to compensate and motivate them. We are committed to this essential part of the NetJets family, and our expectations are for a rapid and positive resolution of our differences. The professionalism of our pilts is evident in the way they have worked during negotiations, in the voting process and in every flight they (or their husbands ... just kidding NJW) fly.

Don't flame me .... but this is about 1/2 of the letter.

Fly safe ... my family members ... but I don't have enough room to have all of you over for turkey next week.

It's time to add my comments here, seeing as though I've been absent for quite a while.

1. Nobody has told any of the owners I have flown that they shouldn't tip. No, I haven't asked, but, yes they tip so that settles it.

2. I don't expect tips and if they're offered I thank the owner, but not profusely, just poilitely and get along with business.

3. I always make sure that my flying partner gets the tip in front of the owner with the adage, "I don't have change for this, can you give me my half back later?"

4. Don't gloat about how much you get tipped or by whom. It's another part of the privacy issue that we're involved in.

NJA Owner

There are a great number of us who don't expect tips, still have fun at work, believe strongly in the fractional model and know that this will all come out in the wash.

Good night!

McDonalds????

Hawkered and NJAOwner: Thanks for the kind remarks. They're part of what keeps us all behaving professionally.

Craw Daddy: I don't think the company salemen would promote us as the
"McDonalds of Fractionals" but you're right about not tipping for fast food.

Curiously, I've noticed that when flying Net-Jets Europe folks stateside, they nearly always tip. Different policy or culture?

Latest resources

Back