Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Snakum

How's your marmott?
I know ... I know ... it's little, it's broken, it's this and it's that ... but I will be flying right seat on one next week and wondered if anyone had any tips to help a newbie lessen the learning curve. My previous experience has been Barons and King Airs and I've never flown a jet, nor do I know anything about the Garmin 496 used for navigation for this particular example. Couldn't find a 496 sim, unfortunately.

Any hints, tips, tricks, etc. on the aircraft or the Garmin 496?

But is it easier than a B200? :D

It is easy to fly. It's really just a baron with mini-jets. Ref speeds are in the high 80's low 90's so it's hard to get behind on approach. Doesn't like to stop that well especially hot and high days. Side stick is actually easy to adapt to. You're not supposed to use the 496 for nav anyways so back to cross radials and such. navigating is easy because there isn't many options, they usually don't come with ADF, Gps install but only used for distance measuring, VOR, loc and ils is it. One cdi, one bearing pointer. As for power 80-85% n1 will keep you below 250 level clean below 10 k. 70-73% ~170 maneuvers, 60-63% ils glideslope, 50-53% non precision app descent. PM me if you want more.

Thanks Transampilot. I appreciate the info.

The trip was pretty cool, and I got over ten hours across four legs, including about four hours sole manipulator. The FADEC and glass was a nice change. I'd only flown a glass C90 once, so it was cool to get a closer look at it. It's unfortunate that the software isn't quite 'there' and that the FMS hasn't been installed yet.

I was quite surprised at how easy it was to hand fly in all phases of flight. I was able to easily hold +/- one degree and fifty feet. Very stable. And at 370 and true'd at 320 kts I was seeing around 180 pph a side. Quite efficient.

But yes ... the brakes (and tires) leave a bit to be desired. :D

In total ... it was a blast. I'm sure this stuff is old hat for you guys, but this was my first jet experience and it was a helluva lotta fun. :)

Last edited:
Thanks Transampilot. I appreciate the info.

The trip was pretty cool, and I got over ten hours across four legs, including about four hours sole manipulator. The FADEC and glass was a nice change. I'd only flown a glass C90 once, so it was cool to get a closer look at it. It's unfortunate that the software isn't quite 'there' and that the FMS hasn't been installed yet.

I was quite surprised at how easy it was to hand fly in all phases of flight. I was able to easily hold +/- one degree and fifty feet. Very stable. And at 370 and true'd at 320 kts I was seeing around 180 pph a side. Quite efficient.

But yes ... the brakes (and tires) leave a bit to be desired. :D

In total ... it was a blast. I'm sure this stuff is old hat for you guys, but this was my first jet experience and it was a helluva lotta fun. :)

Good deal! thanks for the report.

Latest resources

Back