Timing your Retire/Separate papers.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

YeOldeProp

Hoping that a new flurry of hiring is just around the New Year's corner, a question for those of you who've been successful in getting out (especially you folks that retired). How did you time putting your papers in for retirement/separation? Trying to figure out if there's a good way to judge this big step in getting out.

Figure the majority of us still in are holding onto what flying squadron jobs we have in order to keep a roof over the families' head, but still looking to head out to the "real world". SWA seems to have the best timeflow for a retiring military guy (pass the interview and have 6 months to get your type...for those who don't have it yet). How do the other airlines like to see the transition? Our civilian counterparts seem to be more flexible with as short as a 2-week notice, while retiring military folks have to give 6-months warning for the paper pushers to get their act together. Take into account the hope that you've got 60 days terminal leave built up and you can be available in 4 months. But is it good enough for the airlines?

Read throughout this forum that companies seem to be going to the "pool" mentality, which gives a bit of the delay a retiree needs. Other than that, it seems a bit tough in this day and age to not put your income on the line by making a hard decision...but that's just the way it is. Still remember how to spin a pretty good pizza and draw $1 drafts from my college job...may get to return.

Any words of wisdom? Thanks...

Sep Papers

Prop,

I've got the same questions and have done a little research. I too am trying to separate this spring. FEDEX, Alaska, and JetBlue are options that I COULD get a call for. Talking to working buddies and HR people (at the Air Inc Fair) in those companies say the four months with terminal leave should be OK. Those companies are used to the military pilot and recently Stop-Loss. As you mentioned all have hiring pools that you will wade in for a little while.

I can get out in Jun, but have shown avail date of Apr on my apps. Based on above advice I will not change my avail date. If (big if) they call I will give them the updated avail date based on the terminal leave four months after.

I am going to wait for a call before I put in my papers. My buds who are furloughed or back on active duty have put a little reality scare in me. I don't have much info on the other airlines, just the ones in which I have a chance this spring.

On the other side, the Air Force will let you extend your separation 3 times, 30 days at a shot, past the six month window. After that, you have to: get a big waiver, pull your papers and start over, or get out.

Hope this helps....anyone else please advise if I am on the wrong track. It's all a big guess.

Timing Separation

My USAF retirement planning started 4 years ago. The 911 tradgedy & Stop Loss slowed my timetable but didn't change my plan.

Separations and retirements have slowed to near zero at Columbus AFB. Some are taking the three-year bonus & waiting.
In fact I've seen at least half-a-dozen furloughees come back to active duty flying jobs.

No matter your circumstances, submitting papers requires either a good fall-back (extend 30-days, reserves, pull papers, spouse employment etc) or a "leap of faith. During the peak hiring period it was not uncommon for people to reach 30-60 days prior to sep/retirement without having a job offer in hand.

I was fortunate enough to be interviewed & hired by NETJETS.

Send me a PM if you want more info.

DLF8108

timing...

I am one of the guys recently picked up by jetBlue and am trying to establish a 1 April retirment for a 1 Feb availability date. Uncle Sam can still screw this all up. The USAF wants 120 days plus your 60- days terminal leave. I have submitted a waiver to the 120 day and will let you know what happens... I was told by our retirements section that they were batting 1000 and now I am not so sure. I am trying the 120 total plan, 60 days at work and go terminal for 60 days... not the 180 USAF plan... After almost 21 years you would think they could make this easier. The decision is tough enough without the doubt...

"Krunch"

I can't add much, heck, you guys on active duty know more than I do. The only curve ball in the equation is when the next stop-loss is coming, and surely it's coming. Guard units are talking about activation again.

Prop, I too am hoping for a flurry of hiring in the New Year. Ideally you’ll start training at month four, or day one of terminal leave. I remember when I was on AD, we all thought that the airlines were waiting for us to separate. Unfortunately that is not the case anymore. Just be careful about being overly optimistic. We all have connections at the few airlines that are hiring yet here we (the many of us that read this bulletin board) sit waiting to get hired. I also concur with everything you wrote in your last paragraph. The “pool” mentality does little to help guys separating from AD. It’s a major gamble these days. Heck, it maybe best to wait to submit papers, get hired and wait out your pool date. If your number comes up during a stop-loss, then you won’t have any worries when the time finally does come to separate.

Good luck, we're all counting on you.

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but when I got the call to interview with jetBlue, the first thing they asked me was if I had a DD214. They had been bit alot the past year with guys saying that they were going to be available for training, etc. on certain dates, only to be grabbed back by stop-loss. That was back in May though.

For those of you separating, I'm not sure the days of starting-training-the-first-day-of-terminal-leave are still around. I've seen some Navy guys do it, but then again, they got interviewed before the policy at jetBlue took hold.

I know how you guys feel, my separation date was September 24, 2001, and I had some good stuff lined up before I got out, of course that all went away. I agree with DLF, you need to have a back up. I had a reserve job (and there was plenty of work to be had there) and about a year and a half salary saved up. I really didn't change much in my spending habits (I could have been much more thrifty), so now most of my savings are gone, but luckily an FO job at jetBlue is enough to live off of.

I know jetBlue is supposed to hire 24 a month until next April, and hopefully longer than that. Good luck, all.

YeOldeProp,

Welcome to one of the most challenging/interesting times of your career. No matter how you look at it, you are squeezed into publishing a reasonable availability date on your resume which gets you the interview, then hoping like heck the class date doesn't come too early or too late from your retirement date. Unfortunately, the timing of your class date is not in your control, and is solely based on the needs of the company. You mentioned Southwest--I have it on good authority that the earliest you could get a class date based on an interview that begins tomorrow would be early '04. DLF8108 mentioned good fall-back or leap of faith--you really need both at the same time, which requires quite the juggling act on your part. If your retirement is effective after 1 Feb 03, you will likely contend with STOP LOSS anyway. My advice would be to press ahead, and publish the earliest availability date you can stand (707 IP has the right idea on this). Military friendly airlines are very aware of military retirements and will work with you! Recommend you engage in frequent two-way conversations with the pleasant HR folks so that you apply constant "pressure" until you secure an interview.
On the military side, maintain the great work ethic that got you this far. Avoid typical FIGMO gyrations at all costs, and don't burn bridges! As much as you can, keep your intentions to yourself. Don't reveal your true intentions to the brass or the bros--that only gets you off of the flying schedule. When appropriate, it should be okay to inform your Ops Group Commander/DO that you are considering civilian employment, but that you will give your all to the group until the last day of active duty. This will come in handy in case you have to extend active duty.
As for fall-back options, make sure they include some type of flying until you get the interview.

Best of luck partner.

Vburgh

Many thanks to all that replied...all good words and appreciated. Bottom line is that the decision is tough, no matter which way you end up going. Talked to one of my Brit friends a few days ago who laughingly mentioned that I was in the best aviation growth industry going right now...the military. He's standing on the bottom rung on the ladder at his airline, and very thankful for that. Take care, fly hard and stay safe...

Latest resources

Back